Chapter 13

Fred and George whipped around the corner. They emerged from the plume of black smoke they produced to escape. Once they knew they were out of sight, Fred began to slow his pace, "Georgie..."

George continued to walk at a brisk pace, leaving Fred slightly behind. George was deep in his thoughts 'what happened between Hogsmeade and now that made her side with them? She seemed furious at me, but what for? And her arm...around Draco'

"George!" Fred called after him, "George, mate slow down, what are you thinking?"

George stopped in the corridor, looking back at his brother. "I don't understand, what happened between then and now? It looked like we were about to get killed in there and she just stood there cozied up to Malfoy, watching it happen almost as if she were on their side?"

Fred gave George a sad look. Ron had told Fred earlier what Adelaide had said to him in potions class about George being a blood traitor and Fred wasn't sure if he wanted to tell George, in fear of it hurting him deeply. He never kept anything from George, but her sudden anger towards them would only devastate him.

"I don't know, they are obviously displacing blame onto you for Burke's arrest. How can they not see how bloody crazy he is, he quite literally used an Unforgivable Curse on you, what did they expect?" Fred exclaimed.

This didn't help George at all. He felt awfully guilty for having Adelaide's brother sent to Azkaban, but he would've never done it purposefully to hurt her. For once, George had absolutely no idea what to do. He couldn't joke his way out of this one, he couldn't retaliate with a prank like he and his brother would normally. This was different, this was serious.

"Maybe I should owl dad..see if he has heard anything about the incident. I'd want mum to hear it from me." George mumbled.

Without further discussion, the two made their way towards the owlery in a daunting silence. Never had the two's mood been so dampened, it was like the light was drained from the very core of Hogwarts.

As the two climbed the stairs of the owlery, careful not to slip on the icy steps, The Weasley's suicidal owl came screeching in, hitting Fred in the face causing him to curse quite loudly. 

"Errol, you clumsy git." Fred growled, ripping the letter off its leg.  Fred scanned the letter, it was from Mum and Dad. George looked out the window, resting his hand on his cheek with a depressed look. Fred slowly opened the letter and began reading it out loud to George,

We've heard about the incident from school. McGonagall owled us immediately. We would highly encourage you to come home along with Fred, at least until this all blows over. If you do not wish to come home, at least lay low, please. Don't pull any pranks, don't get in any trouble. I'm sure you understand that this is very grave indeed, the Burkes are a nasty bunch. We are, of course, very proud of you for sticking up for what's right.

Love, 

Mum and Dad

oh and Fred and George dears, do look out for Ronald and Ginny too. Let us know whether you plan on returning.

George broke his trance from the horizon and looked at Fred. "What do you think we should do? I don't want to go back home and look like a bunch of scaredy cats over an intense, but slightly murderous staring competition. I want to fix this."

Fred smirked, "You sure there's no way of pranking us out of this one?"

George scoffed, patting Fred's shoulder, "Wish we could Freddie, but we might have to do this one the old fashion way and talk to them."

Fred dramatically rolled his eyes and pretended to gag, "Ah yes, we can just invite them over for a brew, bond a little, exchange friendship bracelets, owl each other sweet nothings."

George shot Fred a glare, they'd have to somehow get Adelaide on her own to talk to her. How, he had no clue. She was constantly surrounded by Malfoy and the other Slytherins. He didn't know how to break her apart from the group...

They might have to pull a prank after all.