Chapter 70

Today was they day they were to go back to Hogwarts. Adelaide was nervous, Draco was nervous, and while Perseus didn't show it, he was nervous too.

"You can only transform back when you're in the Room of Requirement and when you come back home do you understand me Addie? Please don't get caught." Perseus grasped her shoulders tightly. He wondered if Philip would be doing more to protect her. Would he just send her off like this? He constantly compared himself to Philip, even more so after his death. He didn't want to disappoint him or Adelaide.

Adelaide nodded, "Yes, I know. I'll be fine Perseus, I won't get caught. I promise." she assured him. She could tell he was incredibly stressed about the task at hand. Fixing a Vanishing cabinet was tricky business. There was no sure timeline, but they knew it had to be before the year ended.

She especially felt pained that Philip wasn't there to look after him. He claimed he didn't need help, but Philip protected him too in a way, it was just more subtle.

She hugged Perseus one last time and headed out the door. Draco looked even more pale than he usually was which was a stark contrast to his black suit. He was incredibly tense and on edge, especially as the day to go to Hogwarts approached. In front of people he did his usual I-was-chosen-for-this-I'm-fine attitude, but when it was just him and Adelaide, he let his sadness slip through.

They talked about it often, everyone else wanted him to just use the Killing Curse and get it over with. Dumbledore obviously wouldn't be killed so easily, that's why it was the plan to get the Death Eaters in the castle. She didn't want Draco to see it happen, he wasn't a killer.

She remembered a cursed necklace they had in the shop, it was gorgeous, but one touch would drop a person stone cold dead, it was clean, it wasn't messy they could deliver it to Dumbledore with no trace. There was also a poison they had in the shop, it wasn't as clean, but again, Draco wouldn't have to witness Dumbledore dying, which was ultimately what she wanted for him. As morbid as it sounded, she would help enough in a way that it seemed like they were both killing Dumbledore together and it wasn't just him. He could keep his soul intact.

Draco insisted he could use the Killing Curse, that he was strong enough. He told her he didn't like Dumbledore anyway, he would tell her the many things he hated about him. She knew it was his way of trying to build up the courage to do it. Eventually he would stop talking and just sit there in silence with such sad eyes.

There was a sharp snap and Adelaide felt a coldness surround her, she turned back towards the Manor and there stood the Dark Lord in front of her and Draco. It was the first time she had seen him since the night Philip had died. She was terrified he was going to kill her, she still was despite him giving her a task.

"Hello Draco, Adelaide." his snake-like voice sounded through the air.

They both bowed, keeping their gaze towards the ground.

"You both know the plan, I don't care how, I want Dumbledore dead. Adelaide is lucky I'm giving her another chance after her horrendous failure previously which resulted in the death of her brother and my only son." she felt her soul begin to crack into shards, she couldn't show how scared she was, she couldn't cry, she couldn't allow her hands to shake, she had to just stay still. She hadn't thought much of the fact that Philip was the Dark Lord's son. She never spoke to her parents, so she didn't know anymore details about the matter. She didn't want to know, she shoved it into a box and ignored it.

"I never give second chances. I hope you understand one more slip up will not bode well for either of you, especially you Adelaide." He lifted his wand towards Adelaide and she braced herself for the Cruciatus Curse, but after a tense silence, he lowered his wand and laughed, disapparating from the grounds.