Chapter 50

As Adelaide was eating her breakfast, Lucius dropped the Daily Prophet on the table in front of her.

She looked up at him and he motioned towards it, "Read it." a sickening smile was plastered to his face. Seeing him happy over something couldn't have been good news. She hesitantly looked at the paper and picked it up. The picture was Harry staring blankly, it looked like it was taken a few years ago, but the title stated:

Harry Potter Liar and Criminal?

She frantically read the rest of the piece. He had apparently been caught performing magic outside of school in the presence of a muggle and was pending a disciplinary hearing that could result in him being expelled from school and have his wand destroyed.

She looked up at Lucius at the end of the story, his sadistic smile made Adelaide incredibly uneasy. "I may or may not have convinced the Minister to send dementors to Potter. There were two options: he died or he casted a patronus charm. Either way it would put him in a perfect position for us to complete the Dark Lord's task. The Minister just thought it would be a good way to keep him silent." He laughed coldly, "His hearing is this morning at 9AM in Courtroom 10."

She cut him off, "But the paper here says 12PM in Courtoom 2?" 

He huffed impatiently, causing her to quickly shut her mouth. He continued, "That's the point. When Potter doesn't show up, the Minister will send you and a couple aurors to bring him in to Azkaban. You will use the imperius curse on the aurors and take Harry to the Department of Mysteries. This is the only window you will have where the Order cannot intervene, he will be completely vulnerable."

Adelaide's chest tightened. She wanted to run away from this, but the constant stab of her nightmare would flash into her mind. She nodded nervously, getting up from her seat and making her way towards the Floo. 

She stepped into the Ministry atrium and noticed it was a lot busier than usual. There were tons of people from the press, who upon seeing her walk out of the fireplace swarmed her and began asking if the Minister said anything about Harry and if she knew any details of his crime. 

She breathed a sigh of relief as Percy pushed his way through the crowd, dragging her away from the crowd of people. He whispered in her ear, "The Minister changed the time and place of Harry's hearing. We need to go to the courtroom now." 

They both walked quickly to the lift, making their long descent. As she walked into the elaborate, marbled courtroom the Minister quickly motioned her to come to him. 

"We're finally going to get him Ms. Burke. Today's the day." he grinned, "When Harry Potter fails to show up to his hearing, I'll send you and Kingsley Shacklebolt to get him and publicly escort him to Azkaban." The Minister seemed to be foaming at the mouth excited about this tremendous feat. 

He looked over her shoulder and she turned around to see Lucius standing there, looking absolutely furious. He motioned for the Minister to come to him and the Minister quickly excused himself and made his way into the hallway, talking with Lucius.

Adelaide was curious as to what could have possibly made Lucius so angry, he was practically singing from the heavens this morning at the news of Harry's impending doom. Her heart dropped as she saw Harry Potter walk in with Mr. Weasley right behind him. 

Her plan was ruined. What could she do at this point? It's not like she could steal him away from a middle of a courtroom with a bunch of aurors and a member of the Order all standing there. She quickly adjusted, flashing a smile and nod and Arthur, and glaring at Harry. 

She couldn't help but begin to resent the boy who was making her life incredibly difficult. She didn't even want to begin to think how the Dark Lord was going to react to her being five feet away from Harry one floor below the Department of Mysteries, yet completely unable to perform her task. It was infuriating and terrifying all at the same time.