Chapter 77

Draco stared at the ceiling, unable to sleep. Thoughts of the night circled his head and he couldn't put them to rest. 

He should've killed Fenrir right then and there, but he hesitated. Why?

Adelaide didn't hesitate when Fenrir threatened to hurt him or Perseus. He felt like a coward. The Dark Lord sensed it too, his habit for hesitation. Now that he knew about his sentiment towards Adelaide, the Dark Lord intended to make her his personal whipping girl. He hated him deeply for it. The stress to be perfect weighed heavily on his shoulders. His father always expected him to be a loyal follower to the Dark Lord. He wanted Draco to ascend in his ranks and restore his family to grace.

He needed to prove to the Dark Lord that he was loyal to him, as much as he despised the thought and knew how wrong it was, he would do it for Adelaide. They were foolish to every believe they could escape this. They were stuck in this forever, so he might as well make himself comfortable in his current position. He had never seen his mother have to endure the torments and threats from the Dark Lord like Adelaide did. His father was loyal to the Dark Lord and despite his humiliating fall from power, his mother still remained unharmed, untouched. How?

How could he convince the Dark Lord to punish him for his failures rather than Adelaide? As much as he hated the idea, he knew Perseus was right. He had to distance himself from Adelaide to protect her. If the Dark Lord didn't sense that they were as close, he wouldn't find it as adequate of a punishment to hurt her for his failings.

It probably never occurred to the Dark Lord to threaten his mother because his father hardly showed any affection or protective nature over his mother. He of course knew if anything were to happen to his mother, his father would most likely lose his mind, but he would never let it on to anyone the way he treated her.

He didn't want to hurt Adelaide, but he would rather hurt her feelings than the Dark Lord hurt her, or worse, kill her. He recalled her angelic face, a sense of guilt brewing in his chest. He didn't know if he could bare to separate himself from her.

You are cruel to everyone else, why can't you do it to save her?

The last time he was separated from her for two weeks, he almost starved himself to death with worry. The Dark Lord knew this, that's why he used her against him. He had to separate himself, he had to, for Adelaide.

He thought about how his father acted around his mom when he was little. They were so much closer. He used to hold her hand, stare at her lovingly, and shower her in gifts. When he grew older and the whispers of the Dark Lord's possible return surfaced after his first year at Hogwarts, that's when his father began to grow cold towards his mother.

That's when he began to snap at every tiny thing she or Draco did. He only stared at her when he thought no one was looking, he never showed any sign of affection. He could tell it took a toll on his mother because she became much more quiet. She would seem so elated when Draco came back from Hogwarts, she was so deprived of any form of love, she prayed she could receive a tiny shred of warmth from her only son. That's why she spoiled him terribly.

Around his third year when plans were being arranged for the Dark Lord's return, his father began to grow angry and bitter. His mother completely withdrew her affection towards her son, and avoided any situation that would possibly anger Lucius. He began to watch his once loving mother turn into a quiet, submissive woman. It was like all the warmth was sucked out of her soul.

Did he want to do that to Adelaide?

His mother was still alive wasn't she? She had yet to be touched by the Cruciatus Curse or threatened by the Dark Lord. She was safe. Every now and then, he would notice his mother smiling at him or would affectionately sweep his hair in place. She still had tiny glimmers of happiness, that was enough wasn't it?