sixteen

tvd: season 4, episode 6 - we all go a little mad sometimes
* A/N: suicide mentions in this chapter...due to the episode.

"I JUST CAME BACK TO CELEBRATE DEAN'S successful  retrieval of the vampire hunter, yet when I arrived, I learned that not only was Dean unsuccessful, but that Elena killed the hunter

"I JUST CAME BACK TO CELEBRATE DEAN'S successful  retrieval of the vampire hunter, yet when I arrived, I learned that not only was Dean unsuccessful, but that Elena killed the hunter." Klaus spoke, once he entered Olivia's room.

"If you're coming in here to whine all about it, the door is that way. Leave." Olivia glared at him, looking up from her notebook.

"We have matters to attend with your lover's girlfriend. Let's go." Klaus ordered, causing Olivia to frown at him.

"Why do I have to go?" Olivia asked, seeing as she failed to keep the hunter alive she assumed her brother wouldn't trust her on this.

"Because there are five in the brotherhood, we just have to find another hunter." Klaus responded, "We have Elena to take care of."

Olivia rolled her eyes at the mention of the Gilbert vampire, if she wouldn't have killed Connor, maybe she would've gotten her chance at a human life once again.

***

Olivia and Klaus walked through the streets of a neighborhood as Klaus spoke to Stefan through the phone. Olivia heard Stefan on the other line, "I don't want to talk about it."

"Well, I can't imagine why, what with you ruining all my plans for a hybrid filed future." Klaus responded, causing Olivia to roll her eyes—it's always the hybrids to him, that's all that seems to matter.

"Well it wouldn't have happened if you hadn't sworn me to secrecy." Stefan retorted and Olivia couldn't help but mentally agree with him.

"Well life's full of if's, Stefan, but let's accentuate the positives, shall we? The hunter was one of the five, we'll find another. It make take centuries, but we've got nothing but time, right?" Klaus mused.

"You're using your calm voice today. Who's getting killed?" Stefan questioned, expecting the male hybrid to be angrier.

"Not you, if that's what you're worried about. But I am concerned about your beloved. Have the hallucinations started yet?" Klaus mocked, causing Olivia to let out a sigh.

"What do you know about that?" Stefan spoke, after a minute of silence.

The hybrids turned, reaching Elena's street, "I'll tell you, where are you?" Klaus asked, as they neared the Gilbert's house.

"I'm at her house." Stefan hesitantly replied.

Klaus smiled, "How convenient, so am I."

The knock at the door caused the Salvatore to open it, his eyes looking at the twins, Klaus sent him a smile while Olivia sent him a tight smile, knowing what is about to happen.

"You know, this would be a lot more civilized if I were inited inside." Klaus remarked, as Stefan walked passed the two.

"It's bad enough I'm out here talking to you both. What do you know?" Stefan asked, not missing the hurt flashing behind Olivia's eyes.

"We killed the Original five hunters, remember? When one kills a hunter, there's a bit of a consequence." Olivia revealed, ignoring his stare.

Stefan frowned urging to look in those emerald eyes, "What kind of consequence?"

"The hunters were spelled by a witch to kill vampires, if you prevent one from fulfilling his destiny then he'll take you down with him." Klaus explained, causing Stefan's frown to deepen.

"What do you mean? Connor is dead." Stefan spoke.

"We mean Connor's death won't prevent him from making Elena his final vampire kill. She'll need to come with us now, we'll ensure her safety." Olivia said, causing Stefan to shake his head.

"She's not going anywhere with you two." Stefan refused.

"If we leave her alone, she'll take her own life before the sun sets." Olivia tried to reason with him.

"She's stronger than that." Stefan insisted, wanting to believe his own words.

"Is she?" Klaus questioned, "Believe me, it's for her own good."

The sound of the door opening caught their attention as Elena ran out of the house as she stared at Stefan, Olivia and Klaus. Using his speed, Klaus grabbed Elena and rushed her away from the house before Stefan and Damon had a chance to react.

"I'm sorry, but it's for her own good." Olivia said once more, before she sped away from the residence.

***

Klaus dragged the doppelganger into one of their secure room, with no windows, nothing sharp so the Gilbert vampire won't have a desire to kill herself.

"Let go of me." Elena sneered as she continued to struggle in the Original's grip.

"Certainly." Klaus smiled, as he roughly let her go shoving her further into the room.

"Apologies for the lack of windows, it's to preserve the art, and of course to prevent you from taking off your daylight ring and burning yourself to death in the sun." Klaus spoke, as he gestured to the room.

"I'm not gonna kill myself. I would never do that." Elena denied.

"But you will want to." Olivia spoke entering the room, before one of the hybrids closed it behind her, "We did, the problem was we're immortal."

"You both went through this?" Elena asked, her curiosity getting the best of her.

Olivia nodded her head, "We did, for 52 years, four months and nine days. We were tormented in our dreams, every waking moment, relentless, never-ending torture."

"It was the only period of my life when I actually felt time." Klaus revealed.

"So you knew that this would happen if Connor died? That's why you got involved." Elena mainly focused on Olivia, "Did Stefan know too?"

"All Stefan knew was to keep the hunter alive, you should have listened to us when we said we had it covered." Olivia spoke, seeing the glare Elena was sending her way.

"What else does Stefan know?" Elena pushed. Olivia could hear the jealousy in her voice, as the twins began to walk away. Elena stopped them, "How did you make it stop?"

"We didn't." Klaus revealed, "Eventually it just stopped." He glanced at her seeing Elena's face drop, "The hallucinations tend to appear in strange forms, don't say we didn't warn you."

***

"What do you mean she escaped?" Olivia asked through the phone, seeing as she roamed the woods to practice her archery.

"I came to free her, I took advantage of you and Klaus being gone." Stefan said on the other end of the line. "I'm going to call Damon—-it seems he could get through her."

"Stefan, don't—-" Olivia was cut off by the line being dead as she curses.

Once Olivia made it back to the mansion she got messages from Stefan seeing as they managed to make Elena's hallucinations stop, saving her from killing herself.

Jeremy Gilbert—-the potential hunter had to kill a vampire to become a real hunter, and that's what they did, Jeremy killed one of Klaus' hybrids.