CH 71: Just the Beginning

"That little wench! How dare she humiliate me!"

Harper stood outside of the women's bathroom. Her back leaned against the door. She glanced at her wrist watch. The time told her midnight was still about two hours away. She shuffled her weight from foot to foot. The back of her legs cramped.

She heaved a sigh.

This night turned out to be longer than she thought.

At the other side of the door, the bathroom had been monopolized by two women, one in hot pink and one in navy blue. The former paced over the floor and fumed at her misfortune. Her indigo eyes blazed and her heels clacked against the tiles.

"Are you sure about what you saw?" Nicole asked for the nth time. She had her arms crossed over her chest. A frown pulled her lips into a frown. The bathroom lights were hot. Sweat began to form underneath her evening gown.

Charlee halted in her steps. She turned around. If smoke could float out of her ears, a fog would have surrounded them by now. She had never been more offended. Sure, she had her share of lies but never to someone close to her.

They should know her better than that.

"Don't believe me? Why don't you check the news?" Her voice sneered, mocking her friend's doubts. She should have chosen Harper instead. "I'm sure a lot of people are now talking about Ambryan and his woman."

The amount of compliments and praises from the bystanders sickened her. What 'Cinderella of the Century'? The girl was nothing more than a gold digger, trying to climb up the social ranks. Ambryan's influence would open doors for her.

She knew it.

And she took advantage of it.

Nicole took out her phone, exhaling sharply. She opened an app with a bird icon. It was her trusted source for the latest gossip. The app led her to home page and flooded her eyes with short chirp posts. It seemed that the bird community was buzzing.

(A/N: Don't you mean 'chirping'?)

#ambeevan was trending.
#AmbryanHathaway was trending.
#EvangelineReed was trending.
#AthonRainbowLaunch was trending.

Clicking the top hashtag, the first post came from a gossip page.

'''

WARNING! Not for the bitter single people out there!
#ambeevan alert! world look out! this couple is about to blaze through your hearts! just look at these photos. aren't they the cutest thing you've ever seen?!

*insert images*

'''

The first photo showed a shot of the couple from the party. Evangeline held Ambryan's tie in her hands, grinning up at him. The second one had Ambryan standing behind her as she conversed with his companions. Both wore a smile while his hand settled on her upper back.

Then, there was the third picture.

Evangeline had buried her face on Ambryan's chest. The latter's arm had snaked around her shoulders. A smirk stretched his lips as he stared down at her. They seemed to be having a private joke. His expression suggested teasing from his end.

It was the first time Ambryan Hathaway showed such a face in public.

"Wow," Nicole gaped, her deep brown eyes blinking repeatedly. Her thumb scrolled through the chirp replies. A lot of red hearts colored the page. "I can't believe this."

"I told you—"

"Is this biatch really shameless?" She scoffed. Disgust painted over her face. "Evangeline was talking with Mikael before this. And all this time she had a boyfriend? How vulgar of her!"