CH 22: Curiosity Killed the Cat

"Luna Athon, the owner of Athon Corporation."

"Right." Eve nodded, feeling absentminded. She breathed through her mouth and recovered the oxygen she lost. The room became clearer. Her brain wires reconnected.

It was slow but it was progress.

Ambryan returned to his computer. He flicked his glasses back into place. "I think Edward from the Marketing Division has her number. Tell her I need to talk to her as soon as possible."

Hesitant, Eve opened her mouth.

"No questions asked."

Defeated, Eve closed her mouth.

"Right away, sir." She left the office and leaned on the door. Five years of office hours flooded her mind. Not once did she remember Luna's name. Not once did they meet for business. As for company parties, she wasn't sure if Luna had attended before.

So, what did Ambryan need from her?

He normally shared a brief reason. That would be part of her speech when she called.

Shaking her head, Eve went to her own desk. She bit her bottom lip. She didn't want to overthink it. Yet, she couldn't help but wonder if it had anything to do with Evangeline. The timing seemed too much of a coincidence.

What was she supposed to do now?

She grabbed the handset of a telephone while her right hand hovered over the keypad. Her left eyebrow twitched. Something was off. She really couldn't shake the ominous feeling. Nausea began to seep in her stomach.

Time continued to move.

It didn't wait for her.

...

...

...

Then, Eve put the phone down and took out her personal cell.

The number she dialed rang two times.

"Eve! Hello!" Avery giggled through the line. The secretary sighed at the sound of her voice. At least, one of them was having a good day. Maybe hers could still turn around for the better.

"Good afternoon, Mrs. Hathaway," the secretary greeted. She collected her thoughts, contemplating on how to share them.

"So... how did the conversation go? I heard from the others that he was being difficult. Their opinions are also mixed. Since you work with him, I wonder how it went for the two of you."

Eve blinked, remembering about the chat.

Chat. Evangeline. Ambryan.

Luna. Evangeline. Chat.

Screwed. Evangeline. Everlee.

"Well..." The secretary gulped. "I wouldn't say it was terrible."

'It wasn't a lie,' Eve explained to herself. After all Avery had done, she would hate to say that the madam chose the wrong person. The latter had her hopes set high. The least Eve could have done was be a decent conversationalist.

Except, she failed at that.

"Well, that's not bad!" Avery assured her, "There's still a week left. You never know until it's over. It will be fine."

Before she could ask more details, Eve switched the topic to the urgent matter. "Anyway, Sir Hathaway wants to contact Ms. Athon. He didn't say why."

"Ah." Avery gasped, understanding the trouble. "You're worried if it's about Evangeline."

"Yes," the secretary admitted. It felt good to hear the same opinion from someone. The weight lessened on her shoulders. "Do you mind giving me her number? I'm supposed to do it on his behalf."