CH 64: Crooked Ties Cause Trouble

Charlee took a deep breath.

She stood about a meter away from her target. This would be the first time she faced Ambryan since the breakup. Those articles and photos about her new girlfriend had broken her heart. He had moved on fast. Not only that, he actually took the biatch out on a date.

Something he'd never done before.

Admiring his profile, she melted. His black suit framed his body elegantly. The lone red tie stood out. He posed like he usually did with his free hand tucked in his pant pocket. Against the lights, he emanated a dark, foreboding and mysterious aura. She could almost pretend that he was a vampire prince.

Well, a slightly tan vampire prince.

Either way, it didn't matter. He was just as gorgeous as the last time she saw him. Her heartbeat raced the moment she spotted him on that red carpet. He still held it captive in his hands. It still belonged in his possession.

She had to talk to him.

Charlee stepped one foot forward.

"Ms. Edwards," Avery intercepted, wearing a tight smile. Her body blocked the actress' line of sight. Her arms formed an L-shape with a glass of champagne in one hand. If she had claws for nails, they would have poked out.

"Where do you think you're going?" She asked despite knowing the answer.

"Ms. Avery!" Charlee squealed. She raised her arms for a hug but Avery recoiled away. Her smile stayed in place while her arms retracted to her sides. "I am such a huge fan of yours. I've admired you since I was young."

Avery clicked her tongue and eyes the actress from head to toe. "Thank you for the flattery but I suggest that you stay away from my son."

Charlee cackled. Hostility hid behind the fake amusement—detectable by experienced sociable ears. "Oh, Ms. Avery. You make it sound like I'll cause him harm."

She rolled her shoulders back and fixed her posture. The way she stood could be compared to pageant candidates when they lined up on stage. She held her chin high, brimming in confidence and sophistication.

Avery almost gagged.

If her son had taken dating seriously from the start, this wouldn't be happening right now.

"Ambryan has a better use of his time than to entertain bimbos like you," she spat, deciding not to hold back. People like Charlee Edwards needed a good smack on the face. Their delusions would only cause trouble for not only them but also for other people.

"Do remember that he is no longer single. He is committed to a wonderful woman. You're as tiny as a bug compared to her." Avery tucked in her chin. Her violet eyes glared through her thick lashes. "And it's Mrs. Hathaway to you."

Charlee's bubbly face faded into an expressionless one. She bit her tongue, blocking an outraged burst of profanities. The madam hadn't even given her a chance and stabbed her instead.

"Avery, darling!" A voice yelled over the crowd. It grew louder as the speaker came closer. "You haven't aged a day since you turned 18!"

Charlee fled from the scene. Her legs walked in long strides. She refused to have witnesses over the exchange. "Tch, that old hag. How old is Ambryan? 10? Why does she act like he's a minor?"

She stopped after a good distance away. Her skirt flared as she spun around.

Ambryan hadn't moved from his spot. He hadn't noticed her either and continued to converse with the two other men. She looked for Avery. The madam stood close and kept watch. They locked eyes for a moment.