CH 50: It's the Violet Eyes

"I don't really like seafood but salmon is so delicious," Luna moaned as she took a bite. The lemon sauce spread across her tongue, coating her mouth in exquisite flavor. No amount of tarts could have suppressed her appetite for it.

Ambryan sat across from her. He cut a slice into a seared venison, making sure it had enough puréed butternut squash and a hint of truffle mash. The meat's parmesan crust crisped as he chewed. It added another layer of texture to the dish.

His violet eyes glanced at their third companion. "Is something the matter with the dish, Mikael?"

De La Lune's private room had a square floor. A deep sea blue carpet layered over it. Blinds covered the glass windows that replaced the back wall. At night, the staff removed them and let in the natural light. For daytime goers, they offered a substitute.

An artificial moon hung from the ceiling and illuminated the place with a gentle glow. A round wooden table stood below it. It had a revolving table top for when guests ordered food in bulk.

The entire interior resembled a cloudy night sky.

Mikael ate slowly. He let the stuffed chicken slowly unravel its savory spices. The sausage filling coated his taste buds. The texture reminded him of lumpy mashed potatoes but packed with flavor. It didn't need any side dishes or dipping sauce.

The chicken managed by itself to satisfy any hungry stomach.

"Nothing, Mr. Hathaway. The food is excellent," Mikael answered. He patted the table napkin over his lips. Then, he reached for a glass of water. The aftertaste lingered in his throat.

"I'm surprised you picked chicken," Luna commented beside him, not looking up. She almost finished half of her main course. "I would have thought you'd choose a salad."

He chuckled at her remark. Chicken happened to be at the top of his diet menu, particularly a part of it. He resumed eating and said, "Chicken breast actually has the least amount of calories but the most amount of protein."

"What about the stuffing then?"

"Nothing to worry about," Mikael affirmed with a nod of his head, "I have a good estimate of the calories I consume. I don't eat a lot at night either. If I do, I exercise more."

From the moment he entered the industry, he had been given an app for a calorie tracker. It gave him a calorie count recommendation based on his physical activities. It not only recorded how much he ate but also how much he burned if he exercised. The combined result would let him know if he stayed within the suggested range.

It also had a few details about the vitamins and minerals he consumed.

Luna dismissed the subject and changed to another one. As long as her close ones ate healthily, she let them be. Her gaze peered straight ahead. The CEO ate in silence. His utensils barely made a sound against the ceramic plate.

She bit her inner cheek, thinking of how to make him talk. Her mind wandered to Eve. The poor girl stayed behind. Mikael's presence must have agitated her. There had to be something Luna could do.

After all, she was the one who brought Mikael along for the meeting.

"Yan," Luna called out, waiting for him to look at her. She placed the tips of her knife and fork at the edge of her place. Her fingers laced together as she rested her chin at the back of them. "Do you know what Ms. Hart likes?"

Ambryan scowled in her direction. He drank from his wine glass before giving her a response. "For what? If I may ask?"

Luna relaxed her arms and stirred her iced mocha. Her ebony eyes never left his face. "I'd like to get her something for being a lovely host. It's simple courtesy so... does she love chocolate? Flowers? Candy?"