CH 28: An (Un)expected Visitor

"If you take the initiative to voice out more ideas, you'd develop the leadership for a promotion."

Eve was stunned. This was the highest praise she received.

She had hoped for a promotion but not any time soon. It seemed like a faraway dream. All she developed was how to provide excellent service as a secretary. The five rules also helped her to achieve that.

Did she have enough experience to lead?

Ambryan exhaled sharply. He could read the uncertainty on her face. It irked him at how she lacked the drive for growth and belief in herself. "Tell me when you're up for it. I'll train you."

"Train?" Eve asked, widening her gray eyes. 'So he was serious?'

"Of course," he replied as he straightened his cuffs. "You'll be promoted by me. It would only be right for me to train you. I won't let others have any chance to rebut."

The secretary receded back into her thoughts. Were they short on human resources? Why else would this come up? Her opinion added nothing of value. Ambryan already thought ahead. She made zero real contribution.

"Thank you for the kind offer, Sir Hathaway, but I think I am far from ready to lead a department."

"That is what training is for." Ambryan scowled. He tucked his hands inside his pants pockets. "You won't step up right away. It would depend on your progress. Please think about it carefully."

Eve nodded meekly. She had nothing else to say. Even if she did, her boss would find a way to counter it. Where was Evangeline's bravery and wits when she needed it?

She winced at the thought of her alter ego. It had only been yesterday since they agreed to meet. That meant they had six days ahead. It had to be more than enough to mentally prepare herself. Speaking of the meetup...

Eve bowed her head and peeked through her lashes.

Ambryan still wore his 'permanent' scowl. What was she to expect from this? What was his reason for choosing Evangeline? Nothing hinted her on his thoughts. He also didn't notice her stare. The temptation gripped her, nudging her to ask.

It managed to open her mouth and try.

Then, the five rules echoed in her head.

1 - Don't draw meaningless attention.

2 - Speak only when spoken to.

3 - Avoid unnecessary affiliation with the boss.

4 - Never interfere with his personal matters.

5 - Always follow his orders.

Eve closed her eyes. She found it easier to control herself when she didn't see him. Her mind counted to ten as she focused on her breathing. The soft jazz music filled her ears. Her calmness returned by the time the elevator doors parted open.

The calmness was also short-lived.

Avery turned around when she heard the elevator. Her high ponytail whipped long with her. She wore minimal makeup and paired her black jumpsuit with blood red stilettos. A crimson Athon satchel bag hung on the crook of her elbow.

She beamed at the sight of the two, spreading her arms like an eagle.

"Yan! Eve!"

Eve experienced a mini heart attack—at least, something she considered to be like it. The bag Avery used wasn't just any bag. It was the same one from her shoot. Flashbacks played like a movie in her head. Should she take it as a sign?