CH 25: The Farewells and Hellos

''From Avery: Eve, wonderful news! Yan already made his choice. Guess who it is? It's you! I knew you could do it! Next stop, prepare for the first meeting!''

Eve lied on the floor carpet.

She didn't know how. She didn't know why. She just found herself there. The text message popped up on her screen after she read Ambryan's last message.

.

''Yan: You really like to make things difficult, don't you? Very well. Like you said, if I really loved my mother, I would play along with her wishes. Will you not help me do as you suggested?''

.

She felt a blow to her gut.

Maybe that was how she ended up on the floor.

The two messages confirmed the ominous feeling. She knew the 'Tea vs Coffee' topic wouldn't last. She merely hoped her nonsensical talk would irritate him.

Yet...

"What the hell is going on?" Eve exasperated. She stared up the ceiling, ignoring both messages. The terms of her agreement haunted her. She had no room for rejection.

The sensation merely felt worse because her own words were thrown back at her. Andie's prediction came true.

If she had known, she would have revealed something and accepted the double offer!

Eve covered her eyes with her arm.

"Why... why, why, why am I so stupid?" She lamented. No sound came to provide her answers. If she tried to back out, would Avery take the money back?

Who was she kidding? Of course, that would happen. That clause wouldn't even exist if it was possible. Avery needed that assurance to get what she wanted.

'Maybe I should just give it up?' Eve considered, pulling her arm away from her face. Both now touched the carpet over her head. Her fingers played with her hair.

The silence seeped into her mind. Her head became empty, cleansing itself. The blank slate allowed her to be rational and pushed her feelings aside. She thought of logic—only looking at the current situation and not the past.

Right now, she already signed the contract.

Right now, she already promised her commitment.

Misty faces of Avery, Cale and Luna stared at her. Despite her lack of experience, they encouraged her. They believed in her. Their collective efforts made the photoshoot a success.

She wasn't alone.

"What am I even saying? This is for Eden and Erin. I shouldn't be selfish. Not unless I want to slave until I'm 40", Eve finally spoke, sitting upright. She shook her head at her behavior. "I would also let Mrs. Hathaway down. I gave her my word."

A sigh flowed out of her lips. "I'm just stalling again, aren't I?"

Eve reached for her phone. Her thumbs typed slowly as if something would change within the extra seconds. Now that she had a reality check, her mind focused on something else—

—how to make the best of it.

.

''Lin: As long as I get a say in this matter.''

.

She stared at her words and felt satisfied at how she overcame the situation. Fake dating or not, she wouldn't let her boss decide on everything. This involved two people who each had their own minds.