CH 02: Mother Knows Best

Eve cheered internally once she cleaned out her inbox.

Despite the disturbance, she had it done in record time. Pride surged in her chest. The vague memory of her first week replayed in her head. She chuckled. She created several mistakes back then and acted more clumsy. She sent emails to the wrong people. She forgot to attach the reports. She missed out on deadlines…

...

Dread washed over her spine.

How did she keep this job again?

Eve checked her watch.

Her boss still had a few more minutes before break time ended. She contemplated if she should have one of her own. Taking out her personal phone, she scrolled through her ebooks. 'Maybe I could read a chapter or two…,' she thought.

She opened at the top of the list. All of a sudden, she was immersed in a world full of battle. The main character's side was on the brink. They needed to revise their strategy. The enemy seemed to know all of their moves. They had been caught off guard way too many times.

It could not go on any longer.

...

After some time, the elevator dinged.

Eve knitted her eyebrows, her muscles tensing. She snapped her head to the intercom. She hadn't misheard anything. There was no call from Darryl. All of her boss' visitors came through him. After him, he'd ask her for permission.

If the person bypassed that security… then, who was in the lift?

The elevator doors opened. They revealed a middle-aged woman with violet eyes. Her straight black hair had blue undertones. It complimented her tan skin well. Her diamond face had minimal wrinkles.

Most people presume that she was in her mid-20s.

She walked out and entered their floor.

Upon sight, Eve stood up. She bumped into her chair and her table. The former almost fell to the floor. The latter quivered from the sudden force. The keyboard clattered. Her pen holder toppled over.

She ignored them all and bowed to the waist.

The woman passed by Eve. She kept her focus on the door. Her gaze could cut through it like a knife. Smoke floated out of her ears. She spoke three words, using a mellow tone.

"Good afternoon, Eve."

"Good afternoon, Mrs. Hathaway," the secretary replied, straightening her posture. Her eyes widened when Avery Hathaway gripped the door knob. She lifted a hand towards the door. "Oh, please. Chief Executive is—"

Her warning reached deaf ears. Avery marched inside and left the door slightly open. Eve froze in place. Visits from the madame wasn't a new occurrence. Yet, each one seemed unique. If she was in a good mood, she'd share a box of cream puffs.

If she was in a bad mood, usually Darryl would give a heads up.

Eve shivered while she wondered what happened to him.

Rule #4 echoed in her head.

'Never interfere with his personal matters.'

She sank in her chair. Her eyes remained on the door. She could tell it was open because the sun peeked through it. She bit her thumb, debating if she should close it.