CH 62: Call Me Maybe?

Eve almost spat out her martini.

She had forgotten about it since neither Cale nor Jordan asked her about Ambryan. The former, of course, already knew of the situation. The latter... must have not been thinking about it. Jordan had been more interested in her career—like a professional in this industry.

So what did Mikael want with this information?

She grabbed a paper napkin and dabbing the corners of her mouth. "Wow, Mr. Davis. That totally caught me by surprise. I have to say that I became more used to your passive aggressiveness on my modelling skills."

"I had nothing more to say when I was the one who taught you."

'How did one say 'arrogance' but in a polite manner?′ Eve wondered. She wiped the tissue under her bottom lip, using an intense pressure. Her voice crisped when she spoke. "Then, I'd learn so much more if you wore a pair of heels and strutted down the stairs yourself. Not gonna lie, I think I'd pay good money for that."

Mikael's left eyebrow twitched. "I see Jordan has rubbed off on you."

"Oh? One more person who wants to see you in heels? Twice the reason to do it? This night just keeps getting better, doesn't it?" She giggled, taking another sip of her martini. The base barely left the counter since her glass was still almost full.

"My, my, Ms. Evangeline Reed," Mikael sneered with sarcasm. He regarded her amused face. "Is this how alcohol affects you?"

"Maybe," Eve chuckled. She placed her drink down and twisted the stool towards him. Her cheek rested on the back of her hand, her elbow supporting from the table. "While we're on the subject, Jordan and you aren't far in age. I'm guessing you also knew each other before you became a model. How did you two end up with this work relationship?"

Mikael frowned. Her words were true. He and Jordan did go way back. Other than Luna, his best friend was his top supporter when he started out. Strangers figured that Jordan hadn't been a modelling manager for long. They always act surprised to hear they'd been together since the beginning of his career.

But what did she want with this information?

"Since when were we on this subject?" He scrutinized.

Eve batted her eyelashes. A sickly sweet smile stretched on her lips. "Since Jordan asked me why I entered modelling. It sparked the same curiosity in me."

"You're trying to change the subject."

It was a statement not a fact. And Mikael knew it. It would have been easy to say that he only drove her here. Her hesitation hinted that it wasn't the case.

The man was inside the room.

"What subject?" She blinked, pure innocence in her hazel eyes.

He took a step closer. One stool stood between them. His gaze narrowed and tried to break her barrier with one look. If the couple wanted to be secretive, why else would they go to the party together?

"About your missing date."

Eve pressed her lights together. He got her there. She did try to deviate away from answering. Her head turned to the crowd. She actually hadn't seen him since they parted ways. Her reply was based on previous experiences. Even in social gatherings, Ambyran took the opportunity to converse with potential investors.

There wouldn't be anything else that would hold his interest.

...

...