CH 24: Game of Cat and Mouse

Ambryan logged into the website when he came home.

His mother knew he already left the office. She had bluntly scolded the board of directors about his office hours. She stated all the problems it would cause his health, threatening the company could collapse if he became sick.

More than anyone, Ambryan knew those claims were exaggerated. He compensated over the outburst by stating he’d continue the work at home.

It didn’t matter anyway as long as he had the chat open—his mother’s real reason.

He shrugged off his black suit jacket. Then, he hung it on the backrest of his chair. Kiri slept soundly on the couch. She favored a pillow which had a pattern of shooting stars.

Her light snores were the only sound in the room.

Exhaling sharply, Ambryan clicked on the first chat notification. A dark cloud circled around his head. The exhaustion from before resurfaced. Why did he even need to reply? The conversation held no value.

It wasn’t worth the time.

.

''Mila: Hey! Hope you’re having a good day!''

.

His fingers posed over the keyboard and got ready to write a response. Despite his complaints, he worded it with caution.

.

''Yan: Ms. Clark, apologies for the late response. Days are neither good nor bad. They are simply a measurement of time.''

.

Ambryan moved to the next chat notification. If possible, the cloud around his head darkened further. A pest had come to annoy him. He typed out his reply and moved on since he still had work.

He focused his mind on composing emails instead.

.

''Jane: Good afternoon, Ambryan! How is your day going?''

''Yan: Ms. Wilson, apologies for the late response. Days are neither good nor bad. They are simply a measurement of time.''

.

Then, a new notification came up.

Ambryan switched windows.

Red lips smiled at him. A hazel eye sparkled under the light. Luscious crimson hair flowed like a waterfall. The clutch she held hinted that the photo came from the shoot. The Athon logo of a koala was embossed in the middle.

He scrutinized it more, trying to see what Luna meant. He suspected that it was the eyes. They were clear and genuine.

Ambryan shook his head.

What was he thinking? He focused on the chat and formed a response.

.

''Lin: Mr. Hathaway. Good evening.''

''Yan: You replied quite late.''

''Lin: I also work, Mr. Hathaway.''

''Yan: You have another job besides modelling?''

.

Ambryan rubbed his chin. Her bio hadn’t mentioned anything else… but it would make sense if she had another job. As a rookie, her projects weren’t stable yet. She would need another source of income.

.

''Lin: I work as an online tutor for part time.''

''Yan: In what subject?''