CH 38: Homeless Evangeline

"Evangeline?" Ambryan frowned. Her face began to pale. His mother would raise hell if she found out that his date became sick. She might even find a way to link it to him—even if as a joke.

Eve stepped away from him. His hand dropped from her back. Despite the cool air from outside, sweat streamed down the sides of her face. She found it difficult to breathe. The oxygen slowed down her brain activity.

She needed time.

She needed space.

Taking a deep breath, Eve vowed that she would figure this out. There had to be a solution buried in her mind. She just had to bypass the panic and get it. Her eyes shut close as she rubbed her temple, feigning dizziness. It would buy her some seconds to stall.

Then, it hit her.

A streak of light beamed through her dim mind. It showed her the way out. The flower buds blossomed under the spring season. If she wasn't mistaken, she had an emergency hotline for this situation.

Now, it was a matter of how she'd be able to use it.

"I—I—Can I use the bathroom before we leave?" Eve stuttered, looking up at Ambryan. She suppressed her excitement. Otherwise, he'd find her suspicious. "I don't think I can hold it for long."

She crossed her legs for emphasis. Her knees bent low and squeezed her thighs together. They trembled slightly from the position. A dull ache began to form in her muscles. The strain from roller skating was taking effect.

A groan rumbled in her throat.

This would be a hundred times worse in the morning.

"Alright." Ambryan nodded. They had been out for hours. Night time was about to fall. It would be unusual if she didn't need to go. She wasn't a workaholic like him. His bladder became used to long hours without reprieve.

Not that others found it as a good thing.

"Thank you!" Eve exclaimed in relief. Her legs sprinted back inside as she spoke over her shoulder. "I'll be back soon."

The front doors closed behind her and Ambryan turned back around. He assessed the surroundings. Since the Skating Rink had a secluded spot, most of the area was surrounded by old buildings. Most of them for residency. His eyes scanned the windows and checked if any of them were open.

Once the coast was clear, he snapped his fingers.

The same bodyguard emerged beside him.

"Wen, how is it?" Ambryan asked without sparing a glance. His senses focused on any unusual activity—like the four reporters that hid behind a dumpster. It was barely visible from the front entrance but he noticed a camera lens peek on top of it.

Wen, a woman with full blonde fringes, placed a hand over her heart and bowed her head. Her teal eyes were hidden behind a pair of sunglasses. Her hair was tied in a low ponytail. She wore the standard uniform for any bodyguard, an all black suit. Because of her angular features, most people mistook her as a male.

Which she found as an advantage.

"Three out of the four reporters followed us since Stitz Bristo," she reported diligently, still in a bowed position, "None of them were able to go inside. Thomas and Hudson were able to apprehend them despite their disguises. They're under first warning until they violate the contract of 50-meter distance again."

Ambryan squinted at the dumpster. The camera lens disappeared from sight. "How many photos have they taken?"

"Many. We believe that your position with Ms. Evangeline just now would be the highlight of your date in the news tomorrow."