CH 23: Stunned Speechless

Eve yawned when she entered the apartment.

For once, she left work at an appropriate hour.

Yet, she felt more tired than when she left late.

'It must be because I visited the studios. City traffic is exhausting,' she thought. Her eyes hooded as she shrugged off her blazer. She hung it on the coat stand blind, guessing where it was located. She kicked off her pumps and placed it on the shoe rack.

"Andie...!" Eve wailed, taking a step forward. She still had her eyes half-closed. Her walk resembled a zombie. "Darling, I'm home!"

"Welcome home, Eve."

"GAH!"

Eve jumped, her hand hitting the wall. She yelped in pain and soothed the pain with her other hand. Her heart drummed in her chest from the shock. Any drowsiness left evaporated into thin air.

She was wide awake again.

A tall figure leaned on the archway. His medium blonde hair had been styled into a slicked side parting. A hint of subtle surfaced around his chin and above his lip. Hands tucked in his pants, he smiled amusedly at Eve.

His sky blue eyes crinkled at the corners. "Hello, my love rival."

"Jarrett!" Eve accused, flaring her nostrils. "Did you have to do that?"

He merely tilted his head and fluttered his lashes. "All is fair in love and air."

Eve's face contoured into a deadpan expression. "You're still not over that, are you?"

This teasing had become a long running joke. Ever since Andie made her boyfriend jealous, Jarrett had seen Eve as his 'love rival'. Her best friend actually pushed through with the plan of using her new appearance for a prank. She hadn't even noticed until Jarrett came up to them.

It was quite a dramatic scene at a cafe.

Jarrett shrugged, unfazed by her look. "Not until you marry a certain CEO."

"..." Eve closed her eyes as her lips parted open. She scrunched her eyebrows hard and bit her bottom lip. Her next words came out in exasperation. "Andie told you, didn't she?"

"I can't really keep secrets from my boyfriend now, can I?" Someone else responded.

Turning her head, Eve stared up to the second floor.

Andie climbed down the stairs. She wore a black cocktail dress that hugged her torso. Skin-tone heels covered her feet. Her dirty blonde hair curled on either side of her face. For makeup, she used a pink lipstick and a black mascara.

"Are you two going out?" Eve asked. The pain in her hand subsided. She moved away when her best friend joined them. Andie stood beside her boyfriend and locked arms with him.

"Yes, you'll have the apartment to yourself," Jarrett answered for both of them. He fished out his car keys from his pocket. "Do tell us if you invite some guests."

Eve rolled her brown eyes. "Ha-ha. How about you become banned from here?"

He wasn't convinced by her threat. Instead, he nudged his head towards the archway. "There's a box of French macarons on the coffee table."

"You are forgiven. Have fun, kids!"

Andie chuckled while her best friend headed for the living room. Then, she kissed her boyfriend's cheek. "You just love teasing her, don't you?"

Jarrett smirked with his lips closed. "Well, if I bought her favorite dessert, I should get something out of it."

"Come on," his girlfriend said, leading the way to the front door. "I already left a note that I am not coming home tonight."