CH 21: Can You Repeat That?

Andie sat on the living room couch. She had her feet up on the cushion, a recipe book in her hands. She looked through "D&D's Cookbook" on how to make her own pizza. It had an entire section about the dough, the cheese, the sauce and the toppings.

She also heard it contained a few of Stitz Bristo's dishes.

Her head looked up when she heard footsteps from the second floor.

From her view point, the back of the sofa faced the archway. She could see the corner of the staircase. The footsteps came closer as her best friend descended. She spotted the slender legs first. Then, the shorts and the top. Her heart sank when she didn't see the red wig.

With that, Andie became more determined to see the bag campaign.

Eve's feet thudded on the floor, making her way around the couch. She plopped down and hung her head on the backrest. Her brown eyes squeezed shut.

"So, how did it go?" Andie asked. She closed the book slightly.

Her best friend groaned. "I'm screwed. Big time. Everything ends here."

"Why? What happened?"

Eve opened her eyes and twisted her neck. Her soulless brown eyes stared at her best friend' stormy blue ones. Her voice flowed out in a monotone. "I just told off my boss for the past 30 minutes."

Andie coughed, hiding her snort. "Why?"

Eve glared. Then, she pushed herself up and slouched her back. Feet apart, her elbows rested on her thighs. Her gaze dropped to the floor. Frown lines creased above her nose. "He was asking about the agreement his mother and I had."

Andie raised her eyebrows. "He knows?"

"I don't think so," Eve replied, licking her bottom lip. Although she messed up, the chat still pissed her off a bit. "He was suggesting that he'd double the money."

Her best friend placed the recipe book on the table. She scooted closer and gave her full attention. "You think he did that with the other women? Get them to leave?"

"Most likely."

Crossing her arms over her chest, Andie bit her inner cheek. Her eyes perceived nothing. "Then..., if they accepted and you didn't, doesn't that increase your chances instead?"

Eve's back went rigid while her head snapped up. The TV screen stared back at her. She saw the faint silhouette of her reflection. Her heartbeat thumped in her ears.

"No, it doesn't," she denied.

Her best friend snorted, noticing the hesitation. "Well, it wouldn't if he wanted someone that agreed. Maybe he'd draft his own dating contract between him and his girlfriend."

'A man trapped into a deal...,' Andie speculated. He would want some control. The more she thought about, the more likely it seemed. That person would establish rules.

If needed, he'd use money to get the approval.

"That sounds like a tight spot. If that's the case, I am glad it won't be me." Her best friend sighed in relief.

Eve relaxed her posture. She stretched her arms overhead, lacing her fingers. The conversation had ended. Her obligation had been fulfilled. Her sisters' high school fund had also been secured.

She did good.

The weight on her shoulders lessened. The week would finish soon. She doubted her boss was the type to initiate conversation. There wouldn't be a need for worry...