CH 35: The First-Point-Five First Date

"Where are they? Did they come out yet? Yan must have bought everything."

Luna wore her hair down today. It framed her face, hiding the sides of it and ending at her waist. A black fedora circled on her head. The long sleeves of her tan sweater were rolled up. She paired the top with dark jeans and boots. Sunglasses hid her ebony eyes.

The weather may be hot but she wanted to wear this outfit.

She sat outside of an indoor cafe. In front of her, she had an ice chocolate with vanilla ice cream on a round table. Her hand held up a slice of tiramisu cake while the other cut a piece and brought it to her lips. It was a taste of heaven.

"Luna! Are you listening?" Avery accused, sitting on the other side of the table. Arched eyebrows scowled at her. "You're not upset that Yan entered a competitor's store, are you?"

"Of course not." Luna snorted. She put the cake down and sipped from a metal straw. Rich chocolate flooded her mouth. "Stop staring at them every second. They're adults. They know how to behave."

Avery pulled the binoculars away from her violet eyes. Gold aviator glasses sat on top of her head. She flicked them down to her nose. A sigh flowed out of her lips. "I just don't want to miss anything."

She grabbed her white chocolate frappe from the table. "If I could, I'd be eating popcorn at a corner. This is far better than anything TV has on."

The cafe was located on the second floor's passageway. The bird's eye view allowed the women to watch over the mall's center section. They climbed on an escalator as soon as they entered the mall. Luna chose a cafe while Avery located the pair. The latter almost tipped over the railing from leaning too far.

Things worked out well in the end.

Luna was able to enjoy her afternoon meal while Avery was given the perfect spot on spying.

Rolling her eyes, Luna picked up a strawberry from a tray. "You can't possibly follow them everywhere they go."

"But I can try!"

"..." She chose to let the topic go. They wouldn't have made it here if Avery could change her mind. "Also, I am not upset. Louisse Tonvui is a mentor and a friend. I'm proud of her achievements."

"You think Eve is doing okay?" Her companion panicked, staring at the store. She bit the tip of her straw. "Do you think Yan realized it's her yet? She is so timid. I'm worried that he'd use it to his advantage."

Luna glanced up at the ceiling. It was hopeless. Avery's one track mind only cared about her son's dating life. She only came today for her friend's safety. There had been close calls to when Avery almost sabotaged the date. Ambryan must have noticed by now.

She had to hold his mother around the waist, stopping the latter from pushing Eve into the bristo.

Luna opened her mouth. She couldn't help but send another warning. This was unhealthy—even if it was entertaining. Ambryan wasn't a teenager. He didn't need a babysitter.

"Oh, they're coming!" Avery exclaimed. She rose to her feet and ran for the railing. The binoculars were back on her eyes. "Woah! They didn't buy anything. I wonder what happened?"

"Eve must have rejected them," Luna answered from her seat. She took the spoon from the cake and scooped out some ice cream. "I know you gave Ambryan some instructions but why the hell did he bring her to a mall? Didn't you tell him where to take Eve on a first date?"

She received a snort as a reply. "Of course not. There's a limit on how much I can meddle."

'Yet, why are we here?' Luna wondered mentally. Not telling her son ideas about a first day wasn't good but following him around like an investigator was completely fine? Her friend desperately needed a new hobby. Since retirement from the movie screens, she had done nothing but obsess over Ambryan.