CH 09: Meeting a Fairy Godmother

A few hours earlier, Eve walked out of an optical shop. She carried a white paper bag in one hand. Her heart thundered in her chest. They had less than 24 hours before the site would be up. There were still things to be done.

Her profile needed a few finishing touches.

Avery matched her strides, staying beside her. She wore a pair of shades. The lens gleamed in gold under the sun. The back of the shop had little foot traffic. Bodyguards stood around and watched the area.

They headed for their cars.

"Just follow Miles and he'd lead you to the studio," Mrs. Hathaway instructed Eve, "I'll meet you there. We can't be too careful. My son has several eyes around the city. He can't know that you and your second persona are connected."

She exhaled sharply, shaking her head. "If he does, he'd pick you right away and use your job positions to make your business trips count as dates."

Eve thought about it for a while. It did sound like something her boss would do.

Avery opened her car door. She pulled down her sunglasses and looked at Eve straight in the eye. Her lips teased a smile. "Enjoy your last moments as Everlee Hart. Once you enter that studio, you'll be reborn as your other self."

"Drive safely, Mrs. Hathaway." Eve nodded.

The madam returned the well wishes and hopped onto the driver's seat.

Eve moved to her BMW. She placed the paper bag in the passenger's seat. Then, she turned on the engine. The alleyway laid out before her, her hands gripped the steering wheel. A black sedan soon appeared in her windshield.

She stepped on the gas pedal and followed it.

The drive went quietly.

The opposite happened inside Eve's mind.

As troubling as it seemed, she'd rather pose as someone else on that dating site. She found its advantages convenient. For instance, how awkward would it have been if Ambryan saw her? Her presence alone broke several rules. She could almost imagine the flow of the conversation.

.

Yan: 'Eve, why are you here?'

.

Eve: 'Good morning, boss. Lovely day, isn't it?'

.

Yan: 'Please answer the question.'

.

Eve: 'I was asked by your mother to join.'

.

Yan: 'Why did you accept?'

.

Eve's Option 1: 'She made a tempting offer.'

Eve's Option 2: 'I thought it seemed interesting.'

Eve's Option 3: 'I actually had hidden feelings for you. Sike! I'm here as a joke.'

.

No matter how many replies she could think of, none of them appealed to her. They all ended in disasters. She wouldn't be able to face him after that—if she didn't lose her job yet. If she did, the job interviews would be just as awkward.

.

Question: 'Why did you lose your job?'

Eve: 'Oh, I joined this dating site that was created for my boss. He did not take it well.'

.

A shiver went down her spine.

Yes, she'd rather maintain their current relationship.