CH 26: Eve the Meeting Secretary

The next afternoon, another workday commenced.

People rushed to meet deadlines. Shouts of frustration bounced off the walls. Papers covered work desks. Fingers typed rapidly on keyboards. Phones rang with urgent concerns.

It was mostly chaotic.

Except for one place.

The conference room had gray carpet flooring. A long table stood in the middle. Its surface was made of wood. Each side had 6 chairs. Another two occupied both ends.

A flat screen hung on the north wall. Wide windows occupied the east side, daylight shining on glossy white walls. Frosted glass made up the west with the only door.

4 people occupied the chairs.

Ambryan sat at the north end of the table. It allowed him to see the door during the meeting. He leaned on the backrest. His arms perched on either side of him.

His expression displayed an impassive look.

Eve occupied his right, tapping on a laptop keyboard. She had her back straight as her brown eyed fired with laser focus. Her ears heightened their hearing. She wouldn't allow herself to miss a single detail.

At the moment, she used the time for lessening her other workload.

Richard Kingston settled on the seat across from her, his back facing the windows. The morning heat seeped through his clothing. Beads of sweat formed under his dress shirt. He loosened his tie, hoping it would help.

His own secretary sat on his left. The young man stared at Eve who wore a deep scowl behind her eyeglasses. Admiration glinted in his eyes. Every key seemed calculated and precise. Her work ethic wasn't a baseless rumor after all.

"Where is President Madison?" Richard asked, raising an eyebrow. His steel gray eyes illustrated rigor unlike his usual easygoing behavior. His curly bronze hair gleamed from the sun.

"Madison is at the studios, taking care of a problem," Ambryan answered. He lifted his right arm and checked his rolex watch. It had black oyster steel bracelet strapped to an ebony dial. White details featured the hands and numbers.

The seconds ticked by.

"Another time then," Richard lamented, his voice lowering to a mumble. His back bumped against the chair. His index finger tapped on the armrest.

Ambryan turned to his right, ignoring his comment. "Where are they, Eve?"

"I received a message from the receptionist that they're in the lobby," she reported as she replied to the company's chat application. She had sent an advanced notice about their whereabouts. "They will be here any minute."

Richard rolled his eyes. "So punctual. It's not even the meeting time yet. They still have five minutes. We could have stayed in your office while waiting."

"I'd rather not have you anywhere near my things."

Eve pressed her lips together, trying not to laugh. Her hands continued to type on the laptop. Her boss never forgot about the time Sir Kingston broke a teapot. Since then, an unspoken rule came to being. A policy that limited the latter from entering the CEO's office.

A knock came from the door.

It opened and revealed a staff employee. Her mousy brown hair ended around her chin. A black pencil skirt hugged her slender hips, her mustard roll neck top tucked under the waistband. She gulped at the group.

Black eyes fidgeted from fright.

"Th-The people from Studio A are here," she managed to say.

Eve stood up and offered her a kind smile. "Thank you, Ms. Hannah. I'll take it from here."