CH 69: Classic Cliff-view Date

"Wow, it's chilly."

Eve shut the car door and walked around the hood. The night air crawled over her skin, leaving goosebumps in their wake. Maize City loomed below the hill. It had been her home for the past few years—a place that gave her a new life.

The low cliff let her appreciate its specks of glow that shined like stars. The bustling streets moved like a train of Christmas lights.

A breeze flew by, making Eve shiver. She wrapped her arms around herself and rubbed her skin. Her breathing hitched as her insides squeezed from the sudden cold.

Maybe she should rethink that cup of sundae.

Heavy warmth draped over her shoulders. It provided her comforting heat from the surroundings—managing to warm her up in more ways than one. The jacket hem stopped below her hips.

She pulled the lapels closer and caught a whiff of mandarin orange and coriander. Then, came in the hints of rosewood and mahogany.

They entranced her.

'What cologne is this?' Eve wondered to herself, sniffing a little. 'Is there vanilla too? Had he always worn this scent?'

"Let me remind you that this was your idea," Ambryan scolded in a low voice. His black dress shirt and vest hugged his figure, tailor made for a custom fit. It emphasized his broad chest and his slim waist.

He placed the paper bags on the hood. The smell of fried food wafted in the air. It triggered Eve's appetite. She grabbed her share and settled her bottom on a headlight, keeping herself upright with her legs.

"You can sit on it."

Eve glanced on the black aluminum covering. It probably had high endurance but she'd rather not risk it. What if her weight created a permanent dent? She did not have the money to pay for replacements.

"I'm good. Thank you," she muttered under breath. Her eyes flickered back to the cliff view. She held the paper bag in one hand and reached inside with her free one. "Where were we? Oh, my idea. Well... I've just seen and read about it so much that I had to experience it?"

A car.

Parked near a cliff.
It seemed like a classic spot.

The breathtaking view made the journey worth it. She remembered Ambryan's face, questioning if she really had been hungry. A cliff view couldn't be found in the middle of the city.

They had to drive out of it to find one.

Luckily, he did know one.

"So is that how we'll base our dating life? On fiction ideals?" Ambryan said, breaking the silence. He took his cup of orange juice and mimicked her position, leaning against the hood.

He pulled off the lid and drank directly.

"Who says we can't make it happen?" Eve giggled. Salt brushed over her taste buds. Her eyes gazed upwards, searching for stars. "What's wrong if we do that? Saves a lot of time thinking if you ask me."

The moon came out tonight. It glowed in its crescent shape. Most stars glistened in specks against the dark horizon. One stood out among the rest, shining larger and stronger.

'Was that Venus or Mars?'

Ambryan took his orange juice and sipped. His mind considered her proposition. She had a valid point. If they often appeared in romance stories, they had to be favored by the public. It would gain them their support.

But, it also came with consequences.

"Don't you think they would become suspicious instead?" He thought out loud. An ice cube landed on his tongue. He let it sit there, biting it on occasion.