The Exam

Wheeler stood in the middle of the room where a protective circle had been hastily scribbled onto the stone. Its purpose was simple—protect the onlooking students if something went horribly awry, which (given Wheeler's track record) was definitely a possibility.

Wheeler could sense everyone's eyes on him and the feeling made him want to vomit. He swallowed hard, his clammy hands clutching his wand so tightly his knuckles went white.

Milton glared at him, eyes narrowing behind his small spectacles. "Alright, Mister Trevil," the professor said, not even attempting to mask the disdain in his voice. "Just like your previous exam, you'll be asked to perform three spells. This time however, the incantations will be incredibly advanced. Fail even one and you're out." His gaze flickered over him, his lip curling. "Due to the circumstances I have no doubt that this will be a fairly short ordeal. Are you ready, Mister Trevil?"

Wheeler gave a stiff nod.

"The first spell is called Distant Music. To cast it successfully you must make everyone in this room hear a melody from inside your own head. To perform it you'll need to say the words melədē məlodiam and rely on the spell itself to control your wands movement. It's quite difficult." He offered him a wry smile. "Best of luck."

Wheeler squeezed his eyes shut, concentrating hard as he tried to clear his mind of all things but the spell. A melody came to him now, a simple song his mother used to sing to him as a boy. He could hear it so clearly in his head that for a moment it was as if the sound had a feeling, like he was warm and being held by someone who loved him. His wand seemed to respond to this, tugging at his hand. Wheeler gave in to the sensation, allowing the song to guide his wand through the air.

At last the words left his lips. "Melədē məlodiam."

The warmth of the song felt like it was flowing out of him, running through his veins and out the tips of his fingers into his wand. A series of gasps began to echo around him as the quiet melody spread through the chamber, sounding from within the student's heads causing their eyes to widen in delighted surprise.

Milton and Vera exchanged a glance before Milton finally gave a stiff nod.

Wheeler's heart leapt into his throat, a wave of exhilaration overtaking him. He'd done it! He'd actually cast his first spell.

From within his pocket Mister Pumpernickel let out a celebratory croak.

Giddy with excitement, Wheeler scrambled to collect himself as Milton suddenly cleared his throat.

"Alright," the professor said slowly, clearly attempting to mask his disbelief. "You actually performed the spell...surprisingly well. However, the next incantation will be of a different kind of magic entirely, illusionary. Say the word ənˈrēəl and make us see something that isn't really there."

"Okay!" Wheeler replied with a determined nod.

Once more he shut his eyes, this time picturing a small gold coin floating in front of him. He allowed the image to grow clearer and clearer in his mind, sharpening it and filling in the details until it seemed to actually be floating before him.

Wheeler flicked his wand. "Ənˈrēəl!"

He felt that warm feeling again, this time more intensely, like a hot liquid being pumped through his veins. His skin began to prickle where the warmth rushed through and finally, as if being painted before his very eyes—the coin appeared.

A ripple of shock rang out through the room.

Milton appeared stunned. He quickly removed his spectacles, wiping them on his sleeve before slipping them on once more, as if unable to believe what he was seeing. "Incredible," he finally breathed, turning to Vera. "The coin looks almost perfect. But...he had no talent before, and he's completely untrained. How the hell did he..." Milton was beginning to look rather frazzled.