Beware the Wolves

They continued to bound through the woods, hardly able to see what was in front of them in the darkness.

Mulock could hear the massive paws of the beasts thundering behind him, the snarls deep within their throats sending a shiver up his spine. The wolves were gaining on them quickly and it felt like it was only a matter of time before their jaws would finally find them.

Mulock frantically began to let sparks of fire grow from his hands, preparing to create some kind of blockade to stop the creatures from reaching them.

"I think we should stop running," Wheeler suddenly said.

"What?" Priscilla gasped, out of breath. "That's a terrible idea!"

The trio began to zig zag through the upcoming trees, the wolves still following close behind.

"Mully, what do you smell?" Wheeler asked.

Mulock stared at him in disbelief as they continued to race forward. "Why the hell would you ask that in this situation--"

"Just tell me!"

"Uugh, fine." The demon took in a deep breath, the cold night air filling his lungs. "Nothing," he said sharply. "You happy? I smell absolutely nothing."

And then it hit him. His eyes widened slightly at the realization.

Wheeler nodded frantically. "It's weird, right? They're wild animals. Shouldn't we smell them?"

"Yeah," Mulock agreed. "I don't know a single animal without a scent, magical or not."

"That's why I think..." Wheeler came to a screeching halt, now standing dead still in the middle of the snow.

Mulock and Priscilla spun around, eyes going wide in horror.

They could see the wolves now, massive beasts nearly as tall as Priscilla. They were horrible to look at with ragged grey fur and raging yellow eyes, drool dripping from their utterly massive jaws.

Despite the fact that the creatures were charging directly at him, Wheeler appeared calm, not even moving a muscle.

"Wheeler," Priscilla screeched, "what the actual fuc--"

Before she could even finish the sentence, the wolves lunged through Wheeler.

Priscilla and Mulock watched in shock as it happened, attempting to process what they'd just seen. The creatures had quite literally passed through Wheeler—like they were nothing more than wafts of smoke.

Mulock and Priscilla came to a halt as well, and in only a matter of seconds the wolves passed through them too. There was no physical sensation, their forms moving through their bodies as if they were incorporeal.

"What in the..." Priscilla breathed.

"They were illusions," Wheeler explained as the pack disappeared into the darkness. "Just like the ones I created for those kids."

"But how can that be?" Priscilla gaped. "Look." She pointed to the snow covered ground, still littered in a trail of paw prints. "If they aren't real then how did they leave those?"

Wheeler knelt down, running his hands across the prints. As he seemed to have expected, the snow beneath his fingers was completely flat, the indents of animal prints appearing to only be an illusion formed across the snow's surface.

"What the hell?" Priscilla gasped, crouching down to feel the prints as well. "Why make a fake pack of wolves?"

Mulock rolled his eyes. "Isn't it obvious?"