ninety-seven.

+ gifts +

I rode Jasper out from the tree line that lined the fields surrounding the school building, the site of people trying to pull rubble and scorched beams off of the concrete foundation falling into view as Jaspers hooves moved through the short grass. They all turned to look at me, the site of the pale white horse pulling their attention as I lifted a hand and waved at them. A lot of the men in Avonlea had volunteered to help build up the school again, as well as my former classmates who didn't leave for University for the next few days, the town determined to get the school back up and running as soon as possible.

My eyes swept over the site as I pulled Jasper to a halt, Gilbert not here and probably at the orchids helping Bash and Hazel pull apples so they could be exported before the weeks end. "I come bearing gifts" I shouted to the men as I hoped off of Jasper, Miss Stacy waving as she walked over to me, her face covered in a mixture of soot and sweat that was beading on her forehead. I walked over to the carriage wagon I was pulling, grabbing the baskets of food as I turned around, all the men walking to crowd around me to see what I had brung. "Sandwiches with compliments from my mother" I said as I held them out, two of the men I recognised from church thanking me before taking them the to logs that were set up as a makeshift break area.

"What's all this stuff?" Moody asked as he picked up my copy of Pride and Prejudice that I had bought at the bookstore in Charlottetown one day when I was waiting for my father to close the clinic. "Take what you wish, I have no use for any of this" I said to the boys as they all started looking through all of the stuff that was in the carriage that I had taken from all over the house, hoping that someone could come up with a better use for it. The rest of the men stayed away, having chosen chosen to prioritise the sandwiches rather than the hoard of stuff I was giving away.

"I stopped by your house on the way here and dropped off the books and stationery, I left them on the porch I hope that's alright" I told Miss Stacy as she stood at Jaspers head, running her hand down his nose as she smiled over at me, nodding her head gratefully. "As long as it doesn't rain" she replied jokingly as my smile faltered a little bit, making me arch my neck to look into the blue sky, trying to find the signs of any rain clouds. "Oh I didn't think of that" I said worryingly as I turned back to look at her, a smile dancing on her face as she let out a melodic laugh.

"It should be fine" Miss Stacy replied to me as she made her way over, wrapping her arm around my shoulder as she gave me a squeeze. "Make sure you thank your parents for donating all of their stuff" she told me as she steered me to look at the rubble that was the school, everyone taking a break upon my arrival. "Hopefully it will help once we have the shell of a school back up and running" she said with a sad smile as she motioned at the stance of where the building used to me.

"Well, I'm honoured in assisting you in changing the lives of others just like how you changed mines" i told her, looking over at her with a smile on my face as I pushed my hair out of my face. "It was a honour knowing you" I added quickly as Miss Stacy let out a sigh, clearing my throat as she gave me a right hug, sniffling as if she was trying to hold back her tears "As with you, make sure you write to me I want to know all about what you get up to back in Australia" she said, holding me at arms length as my grin matched hers, knowing that here was no point in frowning anymore.

"I will, undoubtedly" I told her confidently as she gave me one last quick silent hug before letting me go, saying she was going to go grab a sandwich before the men finished them all. I turned around, Charlie standing at the carriage with his hand idley poking through everything to try and find something he wanted. "Charlie" I said as I walked over, seeing the boy looking through the crates of books to see if he liked anything. I hadn't spoken to him in a while, since the kiss actually. I had decided not to bring it up, he wasn't exactly lucid, nor was I, and I wasn't going to spend the remaining of my days in Avonlea acting awkward with one of my closest friends.

"All of this is for your sister" I said as I picked up one of the grated that I had draped a cloth over to feet picking hands from it. I passed it over to him as he held it in his arms, looking at it sceptically as I pulled the cloth off, revealing an array of fabric and wicker hats folding and resting in it. "A few dresses she will grow into, and some matching hair ribbons and hats for them too" I told him, looking up at him with a smile as he nodded his head, letting out a small laugh as I moved them around in the box, letting him see them all.

I had created a similar box for Minnie May, knowing that she probably always got Diana's old dresses and clothes, and would probably be happy to receive a small package of her own. "Thank you, she'll love them" he said to me with a thankful smile, making me smile back at him as I nodded my head. "That is the plan" I said, being distracted by watching Moody try to juggle an arm full of items in his arms, trying his hardest not to drop any of them. "Moody, I can drop those off at your house on my way if you wish" I said to him, being met with a shake of his head as he walked very slowly, trying to stay as balanced as possible.

"I've got it, Thanks Katie" he shouted at me before slowly walking through the grass, making Charlie and I laugh as I shook my head at the clumsy boy. Charlie and I spoke for a moment before someone shouted him over, telling him to grab a sandwich before they all disappear. He said a quick goodbye, giving me a small hug as he promised to write to me and I to him as soon as I touched down in Australia. I took a seat on the wagon, tucking my hands under my legs as Miss Stacy sauntered over to me, a sandwich in her hand as she held it out to me, a kind smile on her face.

"Cucumber" she told me as I took it from her, nodding my head as she leaned against the wagon next to me, crossing her arms over her chest. "Thank you" I told her, taking a bite as the pair of us stood in silence, looking out at where the school building used to stand, the green fields behind it stretching for as far as the eye could see. "Promise me you will send a photograph of the new school once it's built?" I asked her, breaking the silence between bites as she nodded her head, letting out a small chuckle.

"Of course" she told me, motioning her hands towards the school as if she was showing it off. "I will be showing everyone my handy work if they want to listen or not" she said as I laughed, resting my hand on my thigh, holding onto my half eaten sandwich as I smiled fondly at the place where I had found ultimate comfort in Canada, this stretch of land holding too many memories for me to count. "As you should" I said to her as I let out a small sigh, tilting my head to the side in a somber thought. "As excited as I am to see what the future holds" I started, taking a beat to compose myself as I opened my mouth, my feelings spilling out without much direction.

"I will irrevocably miss Avonlea more than I could ever express"

——

A/N: THREE MORE TO GO!
and so the countdown begins!!
i am going to try and make the next few chapters as long as possible for you guys after all the support you have given me since the beginning of this book, so take this as my gift back to you!
I hope you are all excited - and somewhat sad - for the end of this book, much like I am, but I promise that it will be a good one and hopefully the best chapter I have ever written

A/N: THREE MORE TO GO! and so the countdown begins!! i am going to try and make the next few chapters as long as possible for you guys after all the support you have given me since the beginning of this book, so take this as my gift back to you! I...