nineteen.

+ ball gossip +

Everyone was piled into Prissy's room, all of us sitting on the bed as I leaned against the pillows behind me, Prissy holding one on her lap as she laughed at something Tilly had said. The light was falling into the room from the window as we all laughed together, Josie included.

"I'm going to be wearing my hair down" Prissy said as she propped her elbows by her side, setting the pillow she was holding to her side as we all looked over at her. "My mother said she's think about if I could wear my hair up or not" Ruby said with a smirk as I looked over at her, all the girls looking at her amazed as if she had just said something amazing. "Ruby, only married ladies wear their hair up" Tilly said from her side as she nodded her head with a wide smile, excited that her mother was even debating it.

"I'm wearing mines up, my mother doesn't care that much" I said as Josie scoffed, all of us turning to look at her as she rolled her eyes. "I doubt she'd care if you showed up wearing nothing but your pearls" she said as Jane hit her in the arm softly, both girls looking at each other as Jane widened her eyes, telling her to be nice. "Well, my mother says a girl should wear her hair up for the first time on her wedding day" Diana said with a sad smile, clearly not very happy with the decision her mother made for her.

"What does your dress look like Kate?" Tilly asked me as she kicked our legs out the back of her, her chin in her hands as she smiled over at me. "It's white, no puff sleeves, it's lace to the wrists and it has a beaded bodice" I told them all as they all smiled at me in awe, imagining my dress in their heads. "My, you'll look like a bride" Anne squealed as I laughed, shaking my head as I looked down, Jane squealing as well. "You'll need heels to be the same height as Gilbert" she told me as Prissy nodded her head, poking me in the ribs as I squirmed.

"I'm hoping there will be a tall brawny boy to dance with me" Diana said with a smirk as we all giggled, Josie not bothering as she rolled her eyes, setting one arm by her side. "Billy said he would dance with me" she said bluntly with a shrug as I looked at her with a raised eyebrow. "And you willingly agreed?" I asked her as she shot me a look, staring at me before her lips parted. "Yes" she said as I nodded my head, looking at Prissy who raised her eyebrows at me, thinking the same thing as I was, which was that Josie was being immensely rude right now.

"Well, I'm not looking for a beau, just a good night" Prissy said with a smile, filling the silence as we all looked over at her, a smirk forming on my face as I playfully poked her in the leg. "You know who's going right?" I asked her as she swatted my hand away, pulling the pillow she was holding closer to her chest as she looked away from me. "Yes, and I plan on having a nice night with my friends" She replied to me as I laughed at her, Tilly letting out a sigh as she stared into the distance. "I'll be dancing with some ruggedly handsome boy from Toronto" she said as we giggled at her, Jane pushing her over as she laughed, rolling onto her back.

"Aunt Jo has electricity" Anne added, her eyes wide with engagement as I nudged her with my elbow as she was pretty close to me. "I had electricity back in Australia" I told her as she looked over at me, Ruby looking over at me with furrowed brows. "How rich were you in Australia, Kate?" she asked me as she cocked her head to the side, the question making me think of a suitable answer. "We were comfortable" I replied as Prissy hit me in the chest with the pillow she was holding, causing me to grab it off of her. "That's what rich people say" she told me as I hit her with the pillow, a laugh escaping both of us as Diana looked over at me curiously.

"Why would you swap a massive mansion in a sunny exotic place for a small house in cold and gloomy Canada?" Dianna asked me as I shrugged my shoulder, picking at a loose thread that was hanging out of the bottom of my sweater. "For a change of pace I think, and our house isn't exactly small, it's just smaller than our old house" I confirmed for her as I leaned back against the pillows once again, sinking into them. "It wasn't as fun as you'd expect, not having anyone to talk to who didn't work for you, being in the same house for days on end" I said shrugging my shoulders, trying to make them see my life wasn't all glitz and glamour back home.

"I like it here in Avonlea, but I'd think I would like to leave when I'm older" Prissy told us as she leaned her head against the headboard behind her, Ruby shaking her head. "I like the idea of being a housewife" Ruby added as I scoffed lightly, the blonde girl looked up at me with an intrigued look on her face, wondering what I was thinking. "I surely don't, I want to be an equal to my husband. I want to do more than look pretty and throw parties, I'm going to work as well" I told them as Josie scoffed loudly, looking at me with a know it all look as she shook her head softly.

"That's not how it works" she added as I straightened my back defensively, looking over at her with a soft look, not stooping to her level. "And who said? I can still be fully functional wife even if I have my own career, I just don't like the idea of sitting around the house all day doing nothing. I'm going to college before I get married as well, become a teacher maybe" I said proudly as Anne agreed from my side, nodding her head energetically. "I thought teaching would be a nice vocation too" Anne said as I smiled at her, the same being returned as she beamed at me widely.

"Yes, well not all of us can wear trousers and marry fish mongers" Josie said hastily as she flipped her hair over her shoulder, Ruby looking over at her. "Gilbert Blythe is far from a fish monger" Ruby said with raised eyebrows as I looked over at her, confused. "What? Who said anything about me marrying Gilbert?" I queried, confused as to how we got onto the conversation of Gilbert and I getting married. "Well you do date now" Jane told us as everyone nodded their head, clearly all on the same wavelength of this conversation. "We are only young, we don't have to marry each other, who knows what will happen" I blurted out, a little faster than what I had planned for it to be.

"So why date if you don't want to marry him?" Ruby asked me as I shook my head, all eyes on me. "I didn't say I didn't want to" I said as I shook my hands out in front of me. "Can we change the subject please?" I asked as Anne nodded her head, sitting up as everyone was still staring at me. "I'm having to wear my blue dress, not that i'm complaining I just wear that dress frequently" she told us as I looked over at her with a raised eyebrow. "Can you not get a dress made specifically?" I asked her as she shook her head quickly, her braids moving around.

"It cost too much" she told me as I smiled softly at her, an idea popping into my head. "Well maybe I have one that will fit you, one surely has puff sleeves" I told her as she looked at me with wide eyes, an excited expression on her face. "Thank you, Kate" she said to me as she threw herself at me, hugging me as she almost knocked me over into Prissy. I giggled as I wrapped my arms around her shoulder, happy to give away something that I no longer have a use for.

And then one by one we went around the girls each of us telling each other what our dresses looked like and what we would be doing with our hair, all of us spanning over the colours of the rainbow with fabrics and beadwork. "Anne if you come over to my house tomorrow, I can try to find you a few of my dresses to try on. I should have one I brought most of them over from Australia" I told her as we all climbed off of Prissy's bed, ready to all go home before the sun goes down and the air chills to a crisp. That would be most delightful" she replied with a wide smile plastered on her face, excited for her new dress.

——

A/N: yay more friendship chapters, my favourite. So Josie isn't really that bad in the show, they all seem to be quite friendly she can just be a bit iffy sometimes but in this i'm making her straight out Regina George
please vote and comment and i will see you soon

 So Josie isn't really that bad in the show, they all seem to be quite friendly she can just be a bit iffy sometimes but in this i'm making her straight out Regina George please vote and comment and i will see you soon