eighty-nine.

+ study +

I sat on the floor in Miss Stacy's living room, my back leaning against a wooden chest which Gilbert was sitting on top of, my legs folded to avoid tripping up Miss Stacy who was going around with a pitcher of lemonade. We were scattered all around the teachers small cottage, the dining table in the kithcen overflowing with books and papers and the living room floor covered in a mix of legs and books. I had a book balancing in my legs, my eyes reading over it as I sighed, flipping the page over a little too aggressively. The Queens exams were in a week, and while I personally wasn't studying for them, everyone else was, meaning this was the worst time that we could be at a lack of school.

"Sorry" Gilbert said to Miss Stacy as he moved his legs out the way, letting her past as Josie held her glass in the air, asking for a refill. "If nothing else, at least I can offer you refreshments"  Miss Stacy said proudly as she handed the glass back to Josie. I looked down, trying to find my glass to get more juice, Gilbert handing it over to me from the windowsill where I had been keeping it to avoid spillage. I smiles as a thank you as I held it out to the teacher, who filled it up, a lemon slice falling into the glass. "Miss Stacy, the study at my house is much more spacious, I'm sure my mother wouldnt mind if we used it as a make shift school" I said to her as she handed my glass back, setting one hand under the glass pitcher.

"I cannot ask that of your family" Miss Stacy responded with a shake of her head, looking around the room quickly. "It is small but we shall make it work" she said before walking away to fill up everyones glasses, Anne shuffling over closer to me so we could whisper without disrupting anyone.  "We are crammed in here because of their heinous actions" Anne said as I sighed, shaking me head as I flipped the oage of my book again, Anne furiously scribbling with her pen, practically tearing through the paper. "I wonder if Mrs Lynde will actually hold them accountable" Gilbert said as Anne leaned in closer, her leg almost knocking my glass over as I speedily grabbed it, letting out a small laugh. "Here" I said as I held my book in my hand, handing Gilbert my glass as I stood up, sitting next to the boy on the trunk as Anne took my posotin on the floor, facing the pair of us.

I took my glass back from Gilbert, resting it on my knee as I kept a hand around it. "I have to say it was exhilarating seeing the change in Mrs Lynde" Anne said to Gilbert with a small smile, Gilbert nodding his head as I took a sip of my drink, lifting my legs and crossing them on the trunk, my knee resting over the top of Gilberts thigh due to the lack of space, but he didnt seem to care. "I bet it was" I told her with a small smile as I nodded my head, setting my pen in my book to keep my page as I closed it.

"Can I borrow your pen?" Gilbert asked me as I pointed at it, making me nod my head as I pulled it from between the pages, using my finger to mark my spot instead. He took it with a small smile, writing something down in the margin of the book he was reading about modern medicinal treatment. "We took a stand and accomplished something despite the repercussions" Anne said with a wistful look on her face as she held her hook in her hands between her legs, a small smile on her face.

"But it's strange" Gilbert said as he pointed his pen at Anne, both of us looking over at him. He scrunched his nose for a moment as he thought about it, leaning back against the window frame behind him. "It makes me feel like the world is moveable" he added finally, making me nod my head in agreement, never having felt more powerful than I did while shouting at the council. "No matter where life takes me" I started, falling silent as I stared down at the worn carpet, a small hint of a smile on my face. "I now know I must be a relentless thorn in the side of those who refuse
to amend the status quo" I added as Anne let out a small chuckle, Gilbert nodding his head as he hit my knee with the cap of my pen.

"Of course you must" he said to me with an encouraging nod of his head, Anne agreeing quickly as well. "And I know what I must not be" Gilbert said as I looked over at him, a sad smile on his face as he let out a small sigh. "A country doctor, limited to delivering death sentences" he added as I looked over at him, tilting my head to the side. "My father is a country doctor" I said jokingly with a smile, Gilbert shaking his head at me as he leaned against the window pane, a hopeful look on his face. "Not for much longer" he reminded me as he looked over, another sigh escaping his mouth."He's studied under some of the best Professors and physicians in the world" he said, lifting his hand out as Anne and I both listened to him.

There wasn't much I knew about my Fathers life before me, but the guests at our parties were normally extensive and filled with people of the highest merit. "That's what I wish my life go be" Gilbert finished as I nodded my head, knowing that my father lived a good example life for a doctor. "There's so much that we don't yet know" he said as he leaned forward passionately, stuttering on his words as he tried to articulate his thoughts quickly. "I believe we can fix people, save them and we just haven't figured out how" he said as he took a break, taking in a deep breath as Anne looked enthralled in his small speech.

"I would give anything to be there when we do" Gilbert said quietly, his eyebrows knitted together as he let out a sigh, Anne throwing her braid over her shoulder. "Are you going to the Sorbonne?" she asked him quickly, which was returned with a light playful scoff from the boy who looked over at the red head. "May as well ask if I can fly" Gilbert replied with a small shake of his head, Anne focusing her attention on me as she raised and eyebrow. "Kate, any chance you'll be joining us at Queens?" she asked as I let out a small laugh, setting my free hand on the top of my book, the other still clutching my drink.

"I'm afraid not" I replied with a small smile on my face, which I was having to force out. "My place at finishing school awaits me" I told her with my eyebrows raised, nodding my head at Anne slowly as she let out a sigh, shivering as if she was cold. "I couldn't imagine it" she said as she looked down at her book, Gilbert and I still watching her. "Balancing books on your head and such" she added with a distasteful tone, looking back up at me as I shrugged my shoulders quickly, secretly making a mental note to ask my mother if that truly happened.

"I suspect that's a lousy stereotype" I told her with a faint laugh as Anne nodded her head slowly, still a rather sour look on her face as she fell silent. "I may not be sitting this exam but you, Miss Shirley Cuthburt are" I told her, reaching forward and laying my hand out in front of her, a wide grin on my face. "So, give me your book and I will quiz you" I said to her as she sighed, nodded her head as she gave me the book she was using that she had scribbled all of her notes in, Gilbert going back to his reading as began asking Anne her practice questions she had prepared for herself.

——

A/N: hello, here's another chapter for you
I don't have much to say except from that there actually is only 2 episode left in the season that I have to write about. That means that this book is almost close to being finished!! and honestly that scares me a little bit considering that I haven't even thought of an ending yet :/// (any ideas please message me i'm desperate lmao)
I'm also debating writing a second book but i'm kind of being thrown off because personally on some Gilbert fanfics i've read, with the second book when there is no season of the show as the plot line it kind of doesn't have the same effect. But let me know what you guys think!!
please do not forget to vote and comment and I will see you soon

 But let me know what you guys think!! please do not forget to vote and comment and I will see you soon