sixty-six.

+ bonfire +

I held my lantern out as we ran through the woods, my white night dress flowing as I laughed, following behind Jane with Diana behind me, all of us trying to stay as quiet as possible. My hair flowed down my back, a flower crown on top of my head as I jumped over a tree root, trying not to fall over as we broke out the trees, i'll stoping as we looked at a large empty field, grinning as we all looked at each other, running into the field.

"I'll get sticks" I said to them as I walked back into the woods a little bit, Jane coming with me as I picked up big sticks which were lying on the floor, Jane picking some up as well as Diana looked for large stones, picking them up one by one as she ran back to the field to pass them onto someone else. "We need a lot" I told Jane as I walked back to the field, setting what I had found down on the ground as Tillie picked some up, walking to the middle the middle of the field as Anne, Josie and Ruby started gathering them in a big pile.

Once Jane and I had gathered as many sticks as possible the other girls had made a very large bonfire, all of us standing around it as Anne leaned down, setting a small stick in the candle in her lamp as it lit of fire, causing her to through it into the pile of sticks and leaves as it slowly caught on fire. "Here" Diana said as she picked up the sticks which Anne had brought with her, ribbons and scraps of fabric tied to the end as I held up in my hand, everyone taking one as we watched the fire burn in front of us, casting a golden light over us.

"Goddess of Beltane, Sacred Mother, Queen of May, Wild Lady of the Woods, Guardian of love and life" Anne started, reading off of her piece of paper as I pulled mines out of my pocket quickly, holding it in my hand as I raised my ribbons to the fire, everyone doing the same. "Welcome to our circle" Anne said loudly, looking at all of us proudly as I took in a deep breath.

"We women, powerful and sacred, declare upon this hallowed night" we all said loudly in unison, smiling as I held my paper down by my side, happy that we were all here together. "Our heavenly bodies belong solely to us" Tillie read out, making me nod my head as I smiled over at Anne, who was looking incredibly proud at all of us. "We shall chose whom to love and with whom to share trust" Diana continued, scrunching up the piece of paper on her hand after she read off of it.

"We shall wake upon this earth with grace and respect" Josie declares loudly as she smiled over at me, causing me to nod my head at her reassuringly. "We'll always take pride in our great intellect" Jane added, shaking her head as she scrunched her nose with a smile, reading passionately. "We'll honour our emotions so our spirits may soar" Ruby said as she swung her ribbons about a little bit, looking over to me as I looked at my piece of paper.

"We'll never apologise for being a woman" I read out loud, my accent sounding predominantly strong next to everyone else's as I scrunched up my paper in my hand as Tillie let out a small laugh. "And should any man belittle us" she started as we all smiled at each other raising our ribbons higher towards the fire. "We will show him the door" we all shouted together, throwing the pieces of paper into the fire, swinging out ribbons high in the air.

"Our sprits are unbreakable, our imaginations are free" Anne said, throwing her other arm into the air was we all let out a laugh. "Walk with us Goddess so blessed are we" we shouted finally, letting out loud cheers as I swung my ribbon around my head, starting to skip around the fire as everyone else did the same. I swung my ribbons over my head as I spun around quickly, dancing about as Jane Ruby did the same in front of me, cupping my hand around my mouth as I let out a loud cheer of glee.

Ruby walked away from the circle as she sunk onto her knees in the long grass, leaning her head back as she looked up at the starry night sky. "Ruby, what's wrong?" I asked as I walked over to her, everyone else looking over as we crowded around Ruby. "What is it?" Anne asked her as she kneeled down next to her, setting her hand on top of Ruby's as she smiled at us all.

"How I love being a woman" Ruby said excitedly as Anne through her head back to the sky, letting out a wild cheer as we all did the same, Jane laughing as she looked over at me before cheering once again, the excitement and achievement between us all mingling in the warm summer night air.

——

A/N: hi guys, sorry I haven't updated in a little while but here's a mediocre chapter
my school has been cancelled so I don't have much to do at the moment except from write so expect some chapters
please all stay as safe as possible in this scary and confusing time, we will get through this together and please feel free to reach out to my through messages as I am looking for some new friends at the moment
please keep faith, continue to spread positivity and keep washing your hands

A/N: hi guys, sorry I haven't updated in a little while but here's a mediocre chapter my school has been cancelled so I don't have much to do at the moment except from write so expect some chapters please all stay as safe as possible in this scary...