eighteen.

+ trouser sisters +

November

Tom and I sat facing each other on the large floral couch as I crossed my legs, Tom facing me with messy hair and his top button undone as we held each other hands in the middle, our thumbs free as we tried to hold the others down. My father was sitting on the other couch a book in his hand and mother at his side with needlework, the sound of the needle poking through the fabric accompanying the clock on the wall.

"1,2,3" I shouted as I let go of his thumb, pulling away as I held my arms up in the air in victory. "I win" I said to him as I stuck my tongue out at him, Tom holding his thumb in his hand as he scowled at me. "You're such a cheat" he said to me as I shook my head, looking over at him with squinted eyes as my dad looked up from his book. "Oh, I forgot to tell you" he said as we all looked over at him, Tom still holding his thumb as if it hurt due to our game which it didn't.

"What, dear?" my mother asked as she didn't look up from her work, the flower she was sewing slowly becoming more distinctive in the green threads. "Josephine Barry is having a ball for the holidays, she came into the clinic a few days ago to invite us" he told me as my mouth parted, my brother saying something before I managed to. "If there's one things the Prewetts' know how to do it's a ball" he said with a smile as he looked over at me with a smirk.

"Shall we go?" my mother asked as she looked over at father, who took his glasses and and set them on his lap. "I guess so, we should probably get use out of the trunks of gowns you two brought over" he said as I clapped my hands, falling back in between the fluffy pillows behind me. "Yay" I said with a smile as my brother looked over at me with an eyebrow raised, causing me to look a very confused expression back at him. "Kate would like to bring an escort" Tom blurted our for me, both of my parents snapping their head over in our direction as I leaned forward, slapping Tom in the arm as he smirked at me, my eyes wide.

"Who?" my father asked he tilted his head, our eyes meeting as I rubbed my lips together. "It rhymes with Chilbert Plythe" Tom said as my mother and father looked at each other, mentally communicating which they did quite a lot. "Gilbert?" my mother asked as she looked back over at me, a small nod of my head sufficing as an answer. "Is that where you've been all this time?" she said as she set her needlework to the side of her, clasping her hands in her lap. "Yes" I told her as she looked over at my father once again, Tom enjoying this way too much as he crossed his arms, enjoying the show.

"Well, if you must" she replied to me as I jumped up from my seat, running over to her and hugging her, wrapping my arms around her shoulders as she set one on my back. I moved over to my dad, kissing him on the cheek before looking over at Tom again and sticking my tongue out at him once again which was returned with a sneer.

!

As Anne, Diana and I got to school the next day, everyone was talking non stop about the ball, the girls talking about their choices of dresses in their wardrobes. Josephine Barry was Diana's aunt, so she was telling us all the information she had squeezed out of her parents, which included the fact that everyone in Avonlea and Charlotte Town has been invited to come.

Prissy and I sat at our desk, my on the bench, facing the cloakroom as she leaned forward, resting her chin on his fist as she described a necklace she was hoping her mother would let her borrow. I looked away from her as I saw Gilbert enter the building, pulling his coat off along with his hat as he stood in the small room, my attention going to him rather than Prissy. "One moment" I told her as I hoped off of the desk, walking into the cloakroom and standing behind the boy, who turned to face me with a smile.

"Morning" he said as he kissed my cheek quickly, my hands behind me as he looked down at me with an intrigued smile. "I have a proposition" I told him as he pushed his hands into his pockets, raising his eyebrows at me. "Please enlighten me" he replied as I swayed side to side lightly, a smirk on my face. "The ball, you should escort me" I told him as he laughed, rubbing his nose which was still a bit pink from the cold. "I'd need to check my schedule" he said to me as I slapped his arm with the back of my hand, his smile growing as he laughed at me. "What would your parents think?" he asked me as I nodded my head, pushing my hair behind me ears. "They already said it would be a swell idea" I told him as he took a step closer to me, his arms sneaking around my waist as I set my hands on his chest.

"I guess there's no reason for me to say no then" he told me as I smiled up at him, moving my head closer to his as our forehead rested against each other. I heard the door open behind us and a gasp filling the air as I pushed myself away from Gilbert, turning to see Ruby staring at us with her mouth wide, dropping her basket to the floor before running away, slamming the door behind her as the whole building shook. All conversation in the classroom has seized as Diana rose from her seat, looking at me as I jerked my head towards the door, both of us running outside and looking around.

"Ruby" I shouted as I looked around the corner, the blonde haired girl sitting on a rock by the river, pulling her beret off of her head as I looked over at Diana, both of us walking over to her. She sniffles as a tear fell from her eye which she caught quickly, not looking up at us as we got closer. "Ruby" I started as we stood in front of her the girl shaking her head as she rubbed her eyes. "I knew it would happen" she told me, her voice strained as she looked up with me, her eyes filled with tears. "I just need to get used to it, I won't stop you if you are happy together" she told me as I sat next to her, Diana setting her hand on her shoulder as I wrapped my arm around her shoulders.

"I'm sorry, Ruby" I told her as she set her head on my shoulder, another tear falling from her cheek. "You can have my monogrammed handkerchiefs if you'd like" she told me with a laugh, Diana and I joining in to defuse the tension a little bit. "From the moment he met you I knew he'd like you, that's why I tried to keep you away from him. I was scared if you started dating you wouldn't be my friend" she said to me quietly as I rubbed her shoulder with my hand. "Don't be silly, we are all friends forever" I told her as Diana nodded her head from her side, a smile on her face.

"We are trouser sisters" she added, in reference to when we all danced together, as Ruby laughed lightly, looking up at her before wiping her nose once again. "Exactly, we are trouser sisters" I repeated as she wiped her eyes, brushing my arm off of her as she stood up, all of us making our way back into the building, everyone else already sitting on the floor ready to start the lesson. I sat down in the circle, Prissy by my side as Gilbert looked over at me. I nodded my head at him, smiling before taking the chalkboard Prissy was holding for me.

——

A/N: yay, i'm excited to write a chapter about the ball, because as tom said there's nothing the prewetts know more than a ball!
also get ready for some really fluffy moments between kate and gilbert

A/N: yay, i'm excited to write a chapter about the ball, because as tom said there's nothing the prewetts know more than a ball! also get ready for some really fluffy moments between kate and gilbert