seventy-six.

+ paths +

I pulled my hair onto my head, holding my basket down by my side as Jane and I walked down the steps of the school building, ready to make our way home. The afternoon had brought about awkward silence as we printed the remaining newspapers we needed to hand out tomorrow morning. I however had not left Janes side at the desk, both of us being of folding duty before putting the papers into large piles.

"See you tomorrow at church" I said to Ruby and Tillie with a wave, both of the girls walking in the opposite direction as Jane clung onto my arm, making our way to the path in the woods. "You alright?" Jane asked me as I stared down at the ground, the girl swinging her basket by her side as I looked over at her, nodding my head quickly.

"Of course I am" I said to her, squeezing out a small smile, or the best smile that I could muster right now. I had felt Gilbert's eyes on me multiple times throughout the day, but no matter how much I wanted to look over to him, I didn't, because he'd probably try to talk to me which is exactly what I didn't want. "Can I ask you a question?" she asked me as I nodded my head at her, the girl looking around quickly, the large group of boys making their way to the path as well to lead them home.

"You know when you said what if Billy didn't stop with a kiss?" she asked me as a I let out a small breath, knowing exactly what she was going to ask me as I nodded my head at her. "What comes after?" she asked me quietly, whispering to make sure that no one heard her, even though the boys were quite a while away. "I think you should ask your mother, not me" I said to her as I smiled at her softly, Jane rolling her eyes as she let out a loud sigh.

"Come on, Kate" she said to me in a pleading voice, pulling on my arm as I let out a small laugh, shaking my head at her. "Trust me, Jane, it is not my place to say" I told her as she rolled her eyes at me, kicking the ground lightly as she shook her head. "Ugh, fine"  she sighed, as we walked silently, the sound of our footsteps and the faint sounds of the boys talking behind us the only noise surrounding us.

"Can I ask you something?" I asked her quietly as she looked over at me with a pointed look. "Don't expect me to answer" she said jokingly as I let out a small laugh, nodding my head as I looked ahead, holding my basket still by my side. "Why are you still friends with me? I'm sure your family aren't happy that I slapped Billy" I asked her quietly as she nodded her head, pushing some of her hair behind her ear as she shrugged her shoulder quickly.

"They don't know" she said to me as if it was the simplest thing ever, making me furrow my eyebrow as I looked over at her. "They weren't there at the dance, and no one has mentioned it to them yet" Jane added as I continued to stare at her, still extremely confused. I would have thought that Billy Andrews would have immediately jumped on the train to get some sympathy, but I mean the fact he got hit by a girl can't be doing much to his ego at the same time.

"Billy didn't tell them?" I asked her as she shook her head at me. "No, he just said someone accidentally hit him when he was dancing" she told me as I let out a small scoff, wondering when the truth would officially come out. "How come no one has told them?" I asked her, wondering how the amount of adults there hadn't told the Andrews about it yet, or even Jane.

"They havent left the house yet, and no one has come over" she said to me as she looked over at me, raising her eyebrows. "Do your parents know?" she asked me as I let out a small laugh, shaking my head at her quickly. "No but, I'm sure someone will be mentioning it at church tomorrow" I said to her as I let out a sigh, Jane nodding her head as a realisation hit me in the face.

"That's if Winifred hasn't mentioned it at the clinic already" I added, biting the inside of my cheek gently to stop a string of words I would regret falling from my mouth. "What's going on with her anyway?" Jane asked me as I let out a deep breath, looking over at her as I raised my eyebrows. "Her and Gilbert are courting" I told her as she shot me an intrigued looking.

"Officially?" she asked quietly, making me nod my head as I made my basket swing by my side once again. "Looks like it, he met her parents at the fair" I replied as she let out a small laugh, shaking her head as she looked ahead. "She seems way too uptight" she said to me as I let out a small laugh, finding that funny. "Must be her corset" I joked as Jane laughed at me, the path that she would take to get to her house coming up to our left.

"Kate" I heard someone shout from behind us as I turned around, Gilbert and Charlie walking towards us as I turned around quickly, my eyes wide. "Oh no" I said quickly as Jane let go of my arm, facing me with a smile. "Okay, I'm off" she said as she started walking away, making me grab her arm and pull her back to face me. "Wait up" Charlie shouted after us as I shook my head at Jane, not wanting to be with Charlie and Gilbert by myself.

"Do you want to come to my house?" I asked her quickly, the words barely understandable as she raised her eyebrows at me. "For dinner?" she asked as I nodded my head at her quickly, the boys getting closer. "Yeah, sure" I said to her as she shrugged her shoulders at me, nodding slowly. "I guess so" she said as I let out a small sigh of relief, holding onto her arm as the two boys caught up with us.

"Gilbert, Charlie" Jane said to both the boys as we all started walking, Charlie standing to my right as Gilbert walked on the other side of him silently. "Hey, Charlie" I said quietly, ignoring the presence of Gilbert as Charlie smiled down at me with a look of completely innocence on his face, no one knowing what happened between Gilbert and I except the two of us. That's if he hadn't told Winifred about it.

"Ready to hand out the paper tomorrow?" Charlie asked us as I nodded my head at him, Jane also doing the same from my other side. "I worked hard on my article about the cake competition so i'm excited for people to read it" I told him with an awkward laugh, rubbing my lips together as he nodded his head at me. "I gave it a read before we printed it, it was good" he told me as I smiled up at him gratefully.

"Thanks, Charlie" I said as we came to another path, Charlie walking a bit faster as he turned around, smiling at all of us. "I'm off, see you tomorrow" he said before waving, taking the path down to his house as we all said goodbye. Gilbert stood at a distance away from me, none of us talking as we walked in silence. "So, what did you write about Gilbert?" Jane asked him, breaking the silence as I kept my eyes ahead of me, Gilbert smiling at Jane.

"I didn't write anything this time" Gilbert told her, squeezing out a small smile as Jane nodded her head. "Oh yeah, you were in charge of printing" she replied to him as they both smiled weirdly before looking away from each other, the three of us walking in silence once again. "That was the turn for your house, Gilbert" Jane said to the boy as we walked passed the small path that sprouted off the main one.

"Yeah it was" Gilbert said as we all stopped walking, Gilbert trying to catch my eye as I did my best to avoid his. "See you guys later" he said quietly as Jane gave him a little wave. "Bye" she said to him as he turned around, talking off down the path as I watched him go, whatever Jane was quietly saying to me being blocked out as I stood still and watched Gilbert Blythe slowly walk away.

——

A/N: hello, here's another chapter for you
it's just another filler but it's quite a big one so hopefully it tides you over until the next chapter which is going to be a doozy don't worry
please vote and comment and i will see you soon

A/N: hello, here's another chapter for you it's just another filler but it's quite a big one so hopefully it tides you over until the next chapter which is going to be a doozy don't worry please vote and comment and i will see you soon