eighty-five.

+ protest +

We walked through the small town, cheers coming from the group as people stopped and stared at us, wondering why we were making this much of a racket. Miss Stacy walked by our side, waving the school bell around in the air as I swung my white handkerchief above my head. We already had a few people following us, and a few sitting on the back of Matthew and Marilla's carriage, wanting to hear what we had to protest about.

"This way everyone" I shouted, waving my hand as I encouraged them to follow us to the hall. "Let's go" Anne shouted from my side, a smile on her face as we both laughed quickly, a wide smile on my face as I skipped a little bit. "You'll want to hear this" Gilbert shouted to a group of people as they looked at us skeptically, the boy smiling as he pulled his hat onto his head. We stopped at the front of the town hall, the blue doors pulled closed that signifies a meeting was in procession, but not for much longer if we had anything to say about it.

We grabbed the boards out of the back of the carriage, Anne leading us all into the town hall, the masses of people we had rounded following us. I skipped up the stairs, pushing the doors open with a bang as Anne and I walked into the main hall, the councilmen around the table turning to see what was  happening. "What in blazes if going on here?" one shouted as Rachel Lynde hopped out of her chair so quickly she almost fell over. The men started shouting their disapproval as we silently walked to the stage, Gilbert holding open the side of the curtain as our classmates ducked under it onto the stage.

"Excuse me, there is a meeting in session" Rachel shouted as she pointing her finger at me, a smile on my face as I climbed up the steps onto the stage, Anne and I staying in front of the curtain. I tucked my handkerchief into the waistband of my pants, making sure it was on show as I smiled condescendingly at the table of old men. "This way everybody" Miss Stacy said as she ushered everyone into the hall, around 50 people making their way in as I looked at Anne, nodding my head at her.

"Good morning" she said confidently as she set her hands on her hips, a wide grin on her face and her white cloth tucked into her belt. "What you are about to witness is an organised action" I shouted, holding my hands out in front of me as I presented to the crowd and men why we were here. "This is an outrage, that's what it is" one of the men said in disgust as he raised from his chair, pointing his finger at the two of us. "That's nice, dear" I replied quickly, the whispers coming from the crowd as Miss Stacy laughed at my remark. 

"How dare you?" the man replied to me, his eyes filled with a fury that I was not afraid of, especially with the adrenaline pumping through my veins. "They have a right to their say" Marilla shouted at him, a stern look on her face like a mother who was scolding a poorly behaved child. I watched as Rachel rushed over to Marilla, asking way too many questions way too quickly. "We are not here to provoke" Anne said as she held out her hands defensively, my eyes falling to a blonde girl in a purple dress who was pushing through the front of the crowd.

Both Anne and I turned to her, a smile on my face as Josie smiled back at me, nodding her head reassuringly. I moved off of the stage, running down the stairs as I ran over to her, grabbing her by the hand and dragging her up onto the stage next to Anne and I. "We are here to be heard" I finished, squeezing Josie's hand tightly as I stared back down at the men, who were staring so angrily i could basically see the smoke coming from their ears. "Even though you tried to silence our voice" I said in a sweet voice, pointing my finger down at them, knowing that it would set them off even more, which it did as one slammed their fist into the table.

"Well we have a message for you" Anne said as she moved to one side of the curtain, Josie and I reaching out to the other as the three of us pulled them open. There standing on the stage were our classmates, each holding up a boated with large white lettering on them, their white handkerchiefs wrapped around their mouths as coverings as I smiled at them all. Everyone in the room let out an almost collective gasp of a mixture of shock and pride, reading the lettering.

Freedom of speech is a human right

Josie let go of my hand as she moved from my side to behind the boards, standing next to Prissy as I turned back to look out at the crowd. Everyone was reading it over, the class taking a step forward to the front of the stage as I stood at the side, nodding my head slowly and proudly. I had never been more proud in my life, the sight of all of my friends standing up and fighting for what was right.

My, was it a magnificent sight.

"Go on get up there" one of the councilmen said to another as he rose from his seat, looking at the crowd as he walked to the stage quickly. "Come along now, that's quite enough" he said, his voice laced with hatred as he tried to grab the board out of Prissy's hands. She didn't give up as she held on tightly, snatching it away from him and giving him the most fierce glare I had ever seen. He tried  once again, moving to Charlie as he attempted to rip the board from his hands, being too forceful as he almost knocked Charlie over.

There was a loud gasp in the room, the head chairman of the council shouted in rage as all of the sudden the click of the camera and the bright flash of the bulb filled the room. Suddenly everyone fell silent, turning towards the camera man who looked up at us, nodding his head in encouragement as the councilman who had almost shoved Charlie over realised that it had been caught on film. We all looked at the camera, Miss Stacy standing by his side as she nodded her head at us, tears welling in her eyes from joy.

Gilbert walked across the stage, his white handkerchief thrown over his shoulder as he stood in front of the councilman, who had speedily taken his hands off of Charlie's board. "Thanks for the suggestions" Gilbert said calmly as he held up the piece of paper that we had been given regarding newspaper topics. In one swift swoop, Gilbert topped it in half, right in his face, people gasping throughout the hall as he smirked, letting them fall to the floor.

I smiled, my eyes connecting with Anne's who looked so overwhelmed in pride that she was about to cry. I let out a small scoff, watching as Gilbert stared straight at the councilman, not showing a hint of fear as he turned out to the crowd, his face a deep shade of red. "Miss Stacy, control your children" he shouted at our teachers, pointing at her as his hand trembled from rage. Miss Stacy took a step forward, her mouth parted slightly as she shook her head at him.

"They are not children" she spat back at them, his eyes widening as she narrowed her eyes at him. "And they are not out of control" she added as the councilman stared back at her, not knowing what else to say as the crowd broke out in a chorus of laughter and cheers. I let out a laugh, nodding my head as Anne smiled at me, a tear falling from her eye as we joined in the clapping.

We won.

——

A/N: IM SO SORRY FOR NOT HAVING UPDATED IN SO SO LONG I KNOW I HATE ME AS WELL
I have not abandoned this story I promise I just kept putting off writing this scene because I was so afraid I wouldn't do it justice (because it was such a great scene in the show) but here it is in all its glory I hope you enjoyed it
to make up for it I will try and update as much as I can in the next few days before moving back into a more regular schedule I PROMISE
please do not forget to vote and comment if you liked this chapter and I will see you all again soon

A/N: IM SO SORRY FOR NOT HAVING UPDATED IN SO SO LONG I KNOW I HATE ME AS WELLI have not abandoned this story I promise I just kept putting off writing this scene because I was so afraid I wouldn't do it justice (because it was such a great scene ...