ninety-four.

+ bitter sweet +

I knocked on the kitchen door to the Blythe house, awaiting an answer as I pushed my hands into the pockets of my pants, swaying on my feet slightly. I could see Bash on the other side of the curtain, pulling open the door as I smiled at him brightly. "Hey" I said to him as he moved to the side, motioning with his hand after shooting me a quick wave. "Come in" he said as I stepped into the kitchen, looking around to see if Delphi was sitting on Hazels lap, but the kitchen was empty.

"Where's Delphi?" I asked him, turning on my heel as he pushed the door close, my eyebrows raised. "Of course you've got to come over when she's asleep" Bash said to me playfully with a point of his finger, making me laugh slightly as I slapped his finger away from me. "She wouldn't stop crying before hand as well" he added with an exasperated sigh, tipping his head back as he rubbed his forehead stressfully.

"I'm sorry" I said quickly, throwing my hands up in mock surrender as Bash laughed, nodding his head as if he was accepting my apology. "She is your daughter after all, you're meant to soothe her" I told him as he nodded his head, leaning against the wall behind him as he crossed his arms. "Oh, I still do it but that doesn't mean I do it happily" he told me, making me laugh as he rested his head, raising his eyebrows at me curiously. "You're here to see Gilbert?" he asked, sensing my apprehension to ask as I let out a small sigh, taking my hands from my pockets as I swung my arms by my side.

"Yeah" I replied through a sigh, nodding my head slowly as Bash smiled at me, nodding his head as he leaned over to the door, pulling it open for me from his spot. "Apple orchid" he replied simply, making me nod my head in reply again, moving towards the door slowly. "I will be back afterwards to see Delphi" I told him with a point of my finger, stepping out the door as I held the knob in my hand, Bash narrowing his eyes at me. "Hopefully she'll be crying so you get the full experience" he shouted after me as I let out a loud laugh, pulling the door closed before making me way off the porch towards the apple orchard.

!

I walked down the grass silently, in between two rows of apple trees that had red apples scattered in their green leaves, ready to be plucked any day now.  Gilbert was sitting on a blanket facing away from me, a few apples next to him as he sliced them in his hand with the small knife he was holding before taking bites slowly. His hat was slightly askew on his head and I could tell even from here that his waistcoat wasn't done up properly, which was probably due to the summer heat.

My white blouse was flowing in the warm wind, my hands tucked in the pockets of my pants as I stopped behind Gilbert, letting out a small sign gently. "Can I have a slice?" I asked, my voice cutting through the silence as Gilbert turned to look at me, his eyes lingering for a moment before he held up the slice of apple to me. I took it from him, taking a small bite as the flavours danced along my tongue, making me nod slightly. "Ready for harvest, I'd say" I said with a small smile, Gilbert moving over on the blanket silently as I lowered myself onto my knees, taking a seat next to him.

"It begins next week" he told me softly, making me nod my head with a small smile, popping the rest of the apple slice into my mouth. "Then they will be exported for sale" Gilbert added as he looked around at the trees that were harvesting the fruit that would hopefully bring in a large cheque this year for the farm. "How are you?" Gilbert asked me as I looked over at him, shrugging my shoulders gently as I swallowed the apple quickly so I could reply. "Destroyed" I replied with a small laugh, my head still hurting quite a bit, but the fresh air I had gotten earlier had eased the pain a bit.

"It was a bit hectic" Gilbert said with a small smile, nodding his head as I let out a small laugh, not knowing what else to do to fill the silence. "Sorry" Gilbert rushed quickly, making me shake my head at him as I lifted my hand out in front of me. "No you're fine" I said to him, putting my hands on my legs as I let out a small sigh, neither of us talking as we just stared at each other for a moment. "I never answered you" I said finally, breaking the silence as Gilbert nodded his head at me slowly, propping up his knee as he rested his elbow on it.

"I noticed" he replied with a smile, bowing his head as I sat quietly for a beat, swallowing the lump that was sitting in my throat as I let out a breath through my nose. "Gilbert" I started, being interrupted as he looked back up at me, a tight smile on his lips. "I don't fancy your tone" he said with a forced smile on his face as he popped another slice of apple into his mouth slowly, the crunch audible as he clenched his jaw on it. "I don't want you to miss out of your dream for me" I told him with a shake of my head, my bottom lips trembling slightly as I delivered the thoughts that had been circling my head all morning.

"I would never forgive myself for it" I added, Gilbert nodding his head as he slowly chewed on the apple, taking his time to reply to me. "I had a feeling you'd say that" he said quietly, nodding his head as he adverted his eye contact with me, staring ahead at the orchard while I fiddled with my fingers. "I don't want you missing out on your future" I told him, having rehearsed what I was going to say to him over and over again on the walk over here. "What if you're my future?" he asked, looking over at me, pushing his hand through his hair as he raised his eyebrows, almost as if he had practiced his own line multiple times.

"Then your be living a life you wouldn't love" I replied quickly, shaking my head as I sniffled, feeling as if the tears that were stinging the back of my eyes were going to fall at any moment. This is what was best for both of us, so it's what needed to happen. "I'm being forced into an unwanted future, and that's not a fate I wish for anyone" I explained, knowing that he was always going to be happier where he wanted to be, and while he wanted to be near me, it wasn't enough.

"I understand" Gilbert said to me as he looked back over at me, brown clashing against blue as he nodded his head slowly, swallowing the apple in his mouth. "Pick option 1" I reinforced to him, being met with a blank expression as my words soaked into him. I reached out, grabbing his hand as he didn't object, I held his hand tightly, giving it a squeeze as I pressed out a smile, or as much of a smile that I could give him.

"You're destined for great things, Gilbert Blythe" I said to him, lifting his hand up to my mouth as I kissed the back of his hand gently. Gilbert let out a small sigh as he nodded his head at me before pulling his hand away, the sweet air of the orchard between us falling silent once again.

——

A/N: I AM SORRY DO NOT KILL ME
i don't have much else to say but please don't be disheartened (who knows what else can happen by the end of the book ?¿)
please do not forget to vote and comment and I wi see you again very soon!

A/N: I AM SORRY DO NOT KILL ME i don't have much else to say but please don't be disheartened (who knows what else can happen by the end of the book ?¿) please do not forget to vote and comment and I wi see you again very soon!