five.

+ mango +

"Hello, you must be Catherine, I'm Miss Stacy" the teacher said walking up to me and shaking my hand passionately as I smiled at her, laughing lightly as she let go of my hand. "Yes, but please call me Kate" I said holding my hands behind my back as her eyes shifted down to my hands, almost letting out a small breath as she smiled to herself. I could tell she wasn't wearing a corset like most women would, so I could tell she secretly approved of my choice of clothes.

"Right so everyone sit down in a circle" she said as she turned around and walked to the board, motioning her hands to the floor in the middle. Prissy grabbed my hand and pulled me to the floor next to her, ending up sitting between Prissy and Diana as I crossed my legs, the girl sitting with their legs at the side of them, which I should have probably done,
as if my mother was here she would have shouted at me.

"Here pass these around, Moody" she said handing a bundle of papers to the boy at the end of the circle were a gap was for her to sit down next to us. Moody then took a a piece of paper then passed them around the circle, when it came to me I took one and passed it onto Prissy, I looked down at the paper to see a world map. I began naming them mentally, as I had learned this before when I was home schooled back in Australia.

"Okay, so who can name all 7 continents for me?" Miss Stacy asked sitting down next to us, holding a larger map than ours, as she laid it in the middle of the circle, using books to hold down the corners. One of the boys threw his hand into the air, eager to answer the question as Miss Stacy's eyes fell onto him. "Charlie, go for it" she replied with a smile, pointing at him as he cleared his throat quickly. "That ones North America" he said pointing at a shape on the map before listing off the rest, getting stuck on the last one as he fell silent.

"Can anyone tell me the last one?" Miss Stacy asked a genuine smile on her face, turning to face the rest of the class, using her stick to point at the furthest away shape. After no one spoke after a while, I looked up at her, she slightly nodded her head, indicating that I could answer with permission. "Australia" I said a smile on my lips, her smile widening as she kneeled on her knees ready to tell us all about the geography of the world.

!

Before I knew it, it was lunch which just happened to be my favourite time of the day, especially a school day. After grabbing my lunch and milk Jane had pulled me by the hand into the corner where all the girls sat, Tilly waiting for us to enter before she hung up a sheet creating a barrier between us and the rest classroom. "We share food, so let's hope you brought enough" Jane said with a giggle as she pulled the cloth off of the top of her basket, which I also did.

"I have strawberry tarts" Dianna said to the pleasure of the other girls, causing them to giggle and smile as she set them in the middle of the circle we had formed. "I'm pretty sure I've got mango slices, do they have them here?" I asked as I pulled out a small wide necked glass bottle, the orange fruit sitting inside as everyone stared at it. "Mango? No I've never heard of it before" Ruby said intrigued as I opened it up, holding it out to her as she took a piece, everyone's hands lifting up as well as they also wanted a piece.

"This is so delicious" Tilly said after eating it, licking her finger discretely as everyone nodded their head and moaned in agreement. "It's really exotic" Prissy said with a smile as I set the bottle down on the wooden floor boards. "Well we grow lots of delicious fruits in Australia" I said, pulling the sandwich out of my basket and unwrapping then cloth around it, setting it back into the basket as I took a bite out of it. "Oh you must bring more in, Kate" Anne said as everyone nodded their heads, her braids bouncing up and down.

"I will, I promise" I said before we indulged in a conversation about boys, which they al seemed to be happy about as I filled my mouth with food every time they asked me something, which they didn't seem to notice, moving on as if it never happened.