fifty-four.

+ handkerchief +

I sat at my desk, my elbows propped up on the table as I had my chin in my hand as I watched a small group of people working with the print and press, printing the very first paper with our new name, hoping it worked so we didn't ruin a sheet of already printed paper.

"Typesetting takes so long" Josie said as she covered the roller in ink, ready to roll it on the blocks as Ruby got them all ready, Diana clipping pegs on the drying string ready to hang up the papers. "Make sure you out the blocks in correctly" Charlie said as he watched Ruby, Josie scoffing as she walked over with the roller, smirking at Charlie quickly. "You're such a know it all" Josie said to him as he nodded his head, everyone moving back to avoid getting ink on them.

"Careful Josie" everyone said as she picked it up, Jane walking forward and setting the piece of paper on top of the blocks, Tillie grabbing the wooden slate as she laid it on top. "Nice easy motion" she said as she pushed it along the track to underneath the presser, Moody laughing. "Slides right in" he said as I smiled, watching as Tillie turned around to all of us and grabbed the handle. "And now I pull the devils tail" she said as Ruby giggled, covering her mouth as she raised her eyebrows.

"Such a scandalous name" Ruby said as we all watched Tillie push down, the press pushing the paper into the inked blocks, hopefully printing on them if this had all been done correctly. "Open it" I said as soon as she had done it, everyone nodding their heads as she lifted up the wood, pulling the piece of paper out as Josie took it from her, laughing a few times as her eyes scanned the page. "It worked" she said as Diana looked over her shoulder, pointing at the name and article titles.

"The Avonlea Gazette" Diana squealed as Josie passed the paper over to Moody, who showed Jane and I as he read over it in his head. "Farmers celebrate new Gilbert" Jane read out blankly, her smile dropping as we all looked over at Ruby, a big dissapointed nkw. "Really Ruby? Again?" Josie asked her as she snatched the piece of paper off of Moody, reading the mistake.

I let out a small laugh as I covered my mouth, finding it rather funny as Ruby pouting, clenching his firsts by her side as she stamped her foot. "Don't look at me like that, I'm preoccupied" she said as she crossed her arms over he chest, looking as Josie with wide eyes. "Why isn't he here?" she asked, instinctively looking over at me as I let out a small breath, rubbing my lips together as everyone turned to look at me, awaiting an answer.

"Bash's wife isn't well" I said as Ruby whimpered, Josie scoffing as she threw her hair over her shoulder, holding the ruined paper down my her side. "You don't even know that coloured woman" Josie said to Ruby as I stood quickly, all eyes on me once again as I looked over at he blonde girl with scrunched eyebrows. "Mary is a smart, lovely woman, but you'd know that if you ever said two words to her" I said to Josie snappily, earning a sneer as Moody smirked at a Charlie at my agitated behaviour which they seemed to find funny.

"I'm sure she's lovely" Ruby said by Josie's side, nodding her head as she let out another breath, tilting her head to the side as she pouted her bottom lip. "Gilbert is so heroic" Ruby said as she sniffled, wiping her eye as Charlie pulled a handkerchief out of his pocket quickly, holding it out to Ruby as I took my seat again, Jane smiling over at me softly. "Here, Ruby for your poor eyes" Charlie said as Ruby took the handkerchief, dabbing underneath her eyes as Josie watched on.

"Are you 'taking notice' of this, Diana? I certainly am" she said as she turned around to look as the girl in blue, who rolled her eyes as she shook her head, Ruby nodding her head slightly. "It's true, I am beautiful when I cry" she said as she wiped her nose quickly, blowing into the cloth as she shrugged her shoulders. "Or so I've been told" she added as she held the handkerchief back out to Charlie who looked down at it, an awkward smile forming on his face as he shook his head before replying to her action.

"You should keep it"

——

A/N: i'm so sorry this chapter is both so short and so late, I haven't had anytime to write anything recently but i've done a few chapters so expect them in the next couple of days
please vote and comment and I will see you then

A/N: i'm so sorry this chapter is both so short and so late, I haven't had anytime to write anything recently but i've done a few chapters so expect them in the next couple of days please vote and comment and I will see you then