Chp 17: The Maze Finally

I woke up to Minho's faint snoring, it was cute. I flew my eyes open it was still dark outside. and my arm was still linked to his and my head still on his shoulder. His head was leaning against mine. He was still asleep.

I stayed in that position for a few more minutes. Today was different, I felt happy. Not completely happy, but being with Minho happy.

"Minho." I whispered. No answer.

"Minho." I said a little louder but still no answer.
I unlinked my arm and moved my head. His head was dangling to the side.

"Minho!" I yelled and shook his shoulder.

"What?!" He woke up.

"We're going into the maze today." I said excitedly. I felt way better and really wanted to see what was out there. Specially if it meant spending the whole day with Minho.

"I go into the maze everyday." He crossed his arms on his chest, closed his eyes and leaned his head back against the wall. I sat on my heels facing him.

"But I don't. C'mon let's go." I got up. But he didn't move.
I grabbed his wrist and attempted to pull him up.

"C'mon!" I pulled but it was no use, he was pulling back.

"No, I don't want to get up." I kept pulling and pulling. Then Minho stopped resisting so I fell hard on my butt. He started laughing.

"It's not funny." I said as I got up and dusted myself off.

"It's is a little but funny. Now, shank, when we go out there, you need to do whatever I order you to good that?" He was already up and made his way to the door. Me right behind him.

"Yes. Do you have a key?" I asked.

"Ahh I left them in the Map room."

"Why would you leave them in the Map Room?"

"Because I was just coming to talk to you not spend the night here."

"Slinthead. Can I call you slinthead?" I heard that term while walking around the Glade.

"No." He said seriously.

"Fine." I said under my breath.

"We'll wait until Newt or Alby come."

"So.... The maze, huh?" I said with amusement.

"Stop with that little tone of yours. We are stuck in here."

"Hey! I'm in a good mood! Don't ruin it for me!" I raised my voice.

"Okay okay. Man, girls are weird huh." At that Newt appeared in the small window.

"How'd you sleep?" Newt said with a big grin splashed on his face.

"Just get us out of here." I snapped.

"Ooh feisty, I like that." He unlocked the door. Minho gave him a dirty look and walked to the Map Room. I followed but Newt stopped me.

"Athy, be careful out there okay?"

"Yeah." I nodded and I sprinted to catch up to Minho.

"What was that about?" I asked Minho a I catched up to him.

"What? Nothing." He answered quickly.

"Okay..."

"You should go get the stuff I gave you. We better hurry the doors are about to open."

"Right." I sprinted back to the homestead to get my stuff.

While I took the last step of the stairs, Gally stood in front of me. He just stood there with a big bandage on his nose.
I let out an exaggerated annoyed sigh.

"Look Gally I don't know what you deal is but please just slim it." I said and continued my path.

"I remember you." He said.

"Gally you're not making sense."

"No, I remember you!" He yanked my arm back.

"Gally! I don't want to go back to the Slammer and I don't think you want a broken arm! So let go of me!" I shouted at him.

"No! I remember you, you're..." He didn't finish his sentence. But he was gripping my forearm really hard.

"You're hurting me, Gally let go!" I yanked my arm. Then Minho appeared.

"Let go of her!" Minho shouted and forced him to let go of me.

Gally just stared at me.

"If I ever see you treating her like that I swear I'll banish you." Minho threaten him. But Gally didn't seem to care about Minho's threats. All his interest was staring at me as if he knew something.

Then Gally left the homestead.

"Are you okay? Does it hurt?" Minho turned to me.

"I'm fine. If we are having a good day we can always count on Gally to ruin it for us, right." I smiled.

"You know, I like you shuck-face. You're my favorite runner." Minho smiled down at me. This made that butterfly feeling come back in my stomach.

"Well I'm not a runner yet, but okay."

"But that's about to change isn't it? Let's go." We went to pack lunch and have breakfast. We were on our way to the doors when they started to open. I felt such a rush of excitement as I walked directly towards the doors with my mind prepared that I wasn't gonna stop a some feet before the maze starts. I was going in! There was about 15 feet away from the doors. Then 10, then 8, then 5 and then I was there. Standing inside the maze, just passing the doors. I admired the tall walls the ivy hanging from them. All those turns I could make up. I took a deep breath taking everything in. I would be doing this everyday.

"Okay. We are gonna start running. Just follow me and try to memorize every turn we make. Most importantly, never stop running. Unless I tell you to stop. Good that?" Minho gave me orders.

"Good that." I answered.

"Okay. Let's go!" He took off running. I ran behind him. Taking mental pictures of everything.