Chp 9: Slammer cont.

I woke up to Alby's screams through the tiny window.

"Hey! Greenie wake up! Athy! Wake up!" He shouted.

"What?" I said under my breath which I'm sure he didn't hear because he started creaming again.

"Hey! Wake up!!" He said one more time.

"What is it!" I shouted.

"Oh good I thought you were dead." He sighed.

"I feel dead. What's going on? Are you gonna let me get out now?" I said, my brain fully awake now.

"No, you still have to be here all day."

I groaned loudly.

"You've been here two days and you've hurt six Gladers."

"Hey the first five, I didn't know what was going on. And Gally... He just so.... He is so.... Gally."

"That's no excuse. I'll bring your breakfast in a bit."

I sat in the ground waiting for Alby to come back, I was starving I hadn't eaten dinner last night.

I heard someone approaching. It was Minho.

"Hey there Greenie."

"My name is Athy."

"Well sorry Miss Athy. I just came to see if you were okay. Last night you just stopped responding I thought you had died of madness."

"I wish." I yawned and stood up.

"C'mon, it's your third day."

"Ah I know I'll stop complaining, if I'm gonna survive another day in this place I gotta be positive."

"Yeah. Well I'll be going now. I'm off to look for a way to get you and all the other's butts out of this klunk of a place."

"Good luck." I said not really caring what he said.

About five minutes later Alby came back with some food.

"Here." He gave me the plate, and I devoured it. Than Alby left without saying anything.

********

I laid flat on my back just staring at the ceiling. There was absolutely nothing to do. I played scenarios in my head about how the Maze would be like and the Grievers. Curiosity filled me while thinking about the Grievers. I wanted to see what they looked like. Who put them there and for what purpose.

I thought about Minho and Newt. They were the only people I knew besides Alby. I had only talked to Newt a few times but I liked him he seemed nice and laid back I guess.

Minho, Minho, Minho. His name sounded so familiar, his face too. As if I've seen him somewhere. This was driving me crazy. I could see a little memory forming but right when it's about to be clear it slips away.

That's basically what I did for about four hours until Alby came back and brought me lunch.

I ate and Alby stayed to talk to me for a few minutes.

He warned me about the maze and asked me multiple times if I was sure I wanted to be a runner. Then he left and I was alone with my thoughts once again.