Chp 8: Slammer

"C'mon guys! Please! Don't put me in there." I begged the Gladers to let me go but they didn't give in.

"Sorry girl. Just following orders." The Glader locked the door and left.

***few minutes later***

"Greenie." I heard Alby's voice from the outside. I ran to the small window.

"Are you gonna let me out?" I said desperately.

"No, we decided that you will spend the night here." I groaned loudly.

"And all day tomorrow." He continued.

"ALL day?! Why?!" They can't do this to me!

"Athy you hurt another Glader." He sounded disappointed.

"No I hurt Gally. He is cruel and mean! He asked for it. And you know it."

"You are the shuckiest shank I've ever seen." He walked away.

"Wait! No! I'll be good!" He didn't even look back.

I walked backwards until I hit the wall. What am I gonna do here all day tomorrow? I hate it here. There's nothing to do.

Maybe I can sleep all day.

I started thinking about random stuff that popped into my head. I got lost into my thoughts, it surprisingly made the time go faster. Then a voice punched me out of my head.

"Hey Greenie." It was Minho.

"Are you here to laugh at me?" I said trying to sound annoyed but I was glad he was here. I didn't want to be alone.

"Yes. And to keep you some company for a while. But I have to give you credit. You are the craziest shuck-faced girl here."

"I'm the only girl here."

"Whatever. I'm sorta proud of you." He smiled.

"You know it's your fault right?"

"How is it my fault?" He responded is a fake hurt voice.

"You forced me to go to the Homestead. I could have save myself from this if I hadn't been there."

"Then I guess I owe you an apology Queen Athy." He said sarcastically.

"Ugh. Can't you talk to Alby or Newt to let me out?"

"I can, but I don't want to."

"Leave." I told him to leave but in my head I was screaming for him not to go anywhere.

I could see him smiling in the dark.

"No. I think I'll stay a while." He sat on the ground with his back against the door. I did the same on the inside.

"Did Alby send you here?"

"No. But since you're gonna be a runner I have to get to know you. I have to know if you can be trusted outside in the maze."

"How do you want to get to know me if I don't even know myself?"

"We can get to you together."

This actually made me feel that I wasn't alone here. I was the newbie but everyone had started the same way I did.

"To be a runner you have to be fast. Remember every single turn you take, make one wrong turn and you might just spend the night with the Grievers."

"I don't want that."

"No one does shuck face!"

"Okay! Sorry! What's shuck face anyway?"

"Never mind. I'll explain all that in your training, not while talking trough the Slammer door." He yawned.

"Minho I don't want to be here. Please talk to Alby to let me out. Please." I said seriously.

"Even if I do he won't listen to me. And I kinda agree with him, beating up Gladers IS one of the number one rules. If you just break it every time Gally insults you..."

He kept talking and talking about I don't know what. I wondered what I was before this. Maybe this is a prison and I had beaten up some one so bad that they send me here as punishment. But wasn't I too young to be in prison? The people here were all teenagers.

"Minho how old do you think I am?" I asked interrupting his sentence.

"You weren't listening to me this whole time?" I guess his talk was a totally different topic as to my question.

"I was hearing you talk I just didn't pay attention to what you were saying." I admitted but I was scared he would get offended and walk away.

"Well nice to know you appreciate my advices."

"Sorry. But can you answer my question please."

"You're about sixteen. Why?"

"How old are you?"

"Seventeen or eighteen."

"Oh you're not that old."

"Thanks?"

We both stayed silent for about a minute and a half.

"Greenie, can I trust you?" He said breaking the awkward silent. I didn't answer right away.

"To be out in the maze I need to know that you can be trusted." He continued. "All this people have faith in us to get them out of here. I don't want someone that will betray us at any time. Can I trust you?" He asked again.

I was on the edge of crying. We are stuck in here. With no knowledge of how to get out. Minho is right everyone had to trust everyone. That's really all we have, each other. If we wanted to get out we had to stick together and find a way out of here.

"Yes, you can trust me." I finally said. Trying to hold back the tear attack I felt coming, My voice almost cracking.

Minho started talking again. We talked and talked until I eventually fell asleep.