Chp 37: Fellow Runners

*** Athy's POV ***

Ugh freaking Newt! I'm so embarrassed! Why would he do something like that!!!! I feel so awkward!

"Hey." Minho grabbed my arm.

"What?" I said softly. I wasn't mad at him, only at Newt.

"I'm sorry about what just happened." He frowned.

"It's fine. Let's just get ready." I said and walked to the Map Room. But then I stopped.

"Oh! I don't have a backpack!" I remembered.

"I'll give you another one. But you ain't going into the maze for sometime." He said as he walked passed me.

"Why not?" I asked.

"Because after yesterday I want someone to keep an eye on you." He explained. I felt like a child being babysitted. Not that I'm complaining, I'm still a little shaken from the whole someone-else-controlling-my-body thing. And I don't want to be by myself for so long.

"I thought about making Ben a runner." He announced.

"Really?" I asked excitedly.

"Yeah, you can talk to him while you're here." We walked into the map room and for the first time in forever I saw other runners up close. There were only two and the other dude that quit, Milo. One had curly brown hair, green eyes and big arms, of course, he's taller than me. The other had black, messy hair, brown eyes and was about only two inches taller than me. They all seem a little upset.

"Okay guys. I called you in here to have a sort of meeting." Minho said to the other two Runners. I wasn't sure wether to stand next to Minho or join the other runners. Im not a higher rank than them.

"There's gonna be a new addition to the runners, the Greenie, Ben." Minho continued. But the runners weren't looking at him, they were looking at me. It made me uncomfortable.

"Wanna take a picture or what?!" Minho noticed them and stood in front of me, protectively.

"We were just wondering how does a girl Greenie gets to choose to be a runner so fast?" Black-n-messy asked with a hint of attitude in his voice.

"Because she showed potential the minute she popped out of the box, unlike you shanks that sat in the corners crying your eyes out and klunking your shuck pants every five minutes." Minho defended me, though I could do it myself. But my idea of defending will leave a mark.... On their noses.... Blank and blue...

Anyways, that shut them up.

"Back to what I was saying," Minho continued talking but I still got some glares from them.

"Ben will begin his training tomorrow. Milo, you're going to substitute Athy for two days. She's not ready to go back after yesterday." Milo's face wasn't pleasant. He didn't want to go back into the maze that's why he quit and Minho keeps dragging him back for me. Poor guy.

"Um if Milo doesn't want to I can go..." My voiced cracked.

"No it's fine Milo will do it. Right Milo?" Minho turned to him. The poor guy just nodded.

"Okay..." That's all I said.

"Alright. Let's go the doors will be opening soon." Minho concluded and everyone stood up and left the map room.

"Wow, so they don't like me." I smiled at Minho.

"Nope. But then again, most guys don't like you. Specially if they were Gally's buddies."

"Gee thanks." I said.

"Don't worry about it. C'mon." He lead me out of the map room.

"I'll walk with you to the door." I offered.

"Okay." He smiled. We walked together towards the door. I loved this.

"Will you be fine?" He asked.

"Of course." I assured him.

"Good. I'll probably be back sooner." We arrived at the door. It was barely opening.

"Don't cut it short just to be back earlier. Run the whole section like you always do. I'll be fine." I warned him. I wouldn't want him to not get throughout the whole thing just to be back a few minutes early. That's not good.

"I won't, I promise." He said.

"Good." I fixed a strand of hair that was out place for him. He smiled widely at me. I did the same.

"See you later than." He said. The door was fully opened.

I hugged him and whispered quickly in his ear,
"Oh I had to tell you that Alby wants me to get information from Gally so I still have to be his friend, bye." I said quickly let go and turned to leave. I knew he wouldn't like that idea.

"Wait! What?!" He said from behind me.

"You have to go. Go on, go on." I shooed him into the maze.

"Ugh I'll talk to you when I get back!" He ran in.

"Kay." I said.

Yup he did not agree with this. Neither did I but what choice do I have? Alby is 'the boss' and I have to obey. 'To keep order' according to Newt.

Freaking Newt!!!!! I have to talk to him and tell him off for embarrassing me like that. And to not go blabbing about it.

I made my way towards the gardens. That's where I might find him.

And he was.

"Oh hey Athy. How you doing?" He said when he saw me coming.

"You! Godamn shuck-face!" I yelled at him. But he didn't seem threaten. He just laughed.

"Hey it wasn't my fault you left the door wide open while you and Minho did god knows what." He said loudly so the guys around us could hear. They all stopped and stared at me. One of then who I didn't know their name wiggled his eyebrows.

"What! How dare you! Why are you being such a jerk today?!" I slapped his arm.

"Okay okay. I'll stop." He said.

"It's still not cool to do things like that." I frowned and crossed my arms.

"Awww." He said mockingly.

"I promise not interrupt when you and Minho are at the edge of snogging." He wrapped one arm around me.

"You're not gonna stop taunting me about that are you?" I raised an eyebrow.

"No, ma'am, I'm not. I will keep bothering you with it until it bores me." He said casually. I elbowed him in the stomach. Not too hard. He grunted.

"Good thing we're friends right." He laughed.

"You're such a jerk. But since I have no other choice of friends, I guess we are." I smiled. Even though he is so annoying to me, I still liked him. I have decided he is my best friend, besides Minho of course.

"Good so I can call you my bestie then?" He ruffled my hair as if I was his sister.

"Yeah." I fixed my hair.

"Nice."