Ringing It

I rummaged my bag to find my Physics book, only to realize that I must have left it at Jake’s place. So I sat at my usual spot in class, with Jake sitting next to me.

“Did you forget your book too?” he asked me after looking at me sit motionless.

“Uhuh.” I said.

“Uh, listen Jake. Can you help me think of something I can give Ashley as a goodbye gift? I’m totally clueless.” I said and his face turned serious.

“Sure, um, maybe gift her a farewell card? No, that idea sucks.” He chuckled as I groaned. Damn, this was difficult.

He whipped out his phone and started tapping on the screen. His eyes widened and he held up the phone for me to see.

I broke up with Tanya. – Zach

It was my time to be surprised.

“What! But how, when, why-“ I cried.

“I don’t know. I just got this text, damn, I’d really thought they’d last.” He said.

“Me too.” I said, then concentrated. Why hadn’t Tanya told me about this? Why did they break up? I mean, they looked fine all this time. In fact, both of them had gone out on many more dates than us.

Then I remembered, Zach had been meaning to talk to me since the past few days, but never got the opportunity to. Maybe it was something regarding the both of them? I decided to call Tanya but the Physics teacher entered class.

“Angela, why are you here? Aren’t you supposed to be working on the play stuff?” he looked at me, confused and I almost slapped my forehead.

Right, I’d completely forgotten about that. I told Jake bye and headed to Drama class, where I found Ryan and Andrew working on props.

“Why are you late?” Ryan looked at me sternly as Andrew waved at me frantically.

“Save me, Angela! Ryan’s going to kill me!” Andrew protested as Ryan gave him a smack on the head. U had to stifle a laugh. These two were really fun.

“Sorry, guys. I forgot I had permission to bunk class.” I apologized and set to work.

After a while, the drama teacher sauntered into class.

“Hello, kids. Are you guys done with the props and backgrounds?” she asked and Ryan nodded.

“Almost done Mrs. Thompson.” He smiled at her as she heaved a sigh of relief.

“Thank God, the play shows in a week now. The characters don’t even remember all their lines yet. I think I’m going to faint with all this exhaustion and tension.” She said, being over-dramatic.

“Oh, well, I’m glad to see you three working so hard. I’d just stopped by to check up on the progress? Any clue as to who sabotaged the first set?” she asked and Andrew shook his head.

“No, but I think it’s a girl.” He said and she nodded, walking out of the room.

Ryan and I looked at Andrew as he just looked back, clueless.

“What?” he said.

“Andrew, you didn’t tell us that it’s a girl. How do you know?” I asked.

He shrugged.

“I was sorting out stuff yesterday when I found a ring amidst everything. It was a girl’s ring. And you don’t wear rings so obviously it had to be the person who ruined everything.” He said matter-of-factly and Ryan resumed working.