Best Friend Problems

Wendy gave us an innocent look and went over to the mirror where she checked herself out. Ashley’s mouth was slightly open and eyes wide in shock. A quick glimpse at the mirror told me I had reacted just the same. Wendy meanwhile, was reapplying her lipstick, the pink thing moving around her lips as slowly as a snail. Then she capped the lipstick and pouted at her reflection, looking at me all this time. Then she walked out, her heels clicking the tiles.

“Shit.” Ashley muttered that one word that completely defined the situation right now. I took deep breaths. Okay Angela, I told myself, there is no need to panic. But whom was I kidding?

Ashley and I quickly decided not to tell the others about this. The only reason why I had even told Ashley about all of this was because I told her everything and she kept no secrets from me. We were the bestest of friends. Then suddenly her eyes narrowed.

“You said you thought about signing up for Class President.”

Crap.

“You know that I signed up for it and I want to win. But that clearly cannot happen if you sign up. You will get more votes than me!”

“Ashley I am so sorry. Its just that-“ she cut me off.

“Go ahead and sign up!” she raised her voice a little.

“What?” I stared at her in shock.

“You clearly don’t think about my feelings do you? Everything is about you Angela isn’t it? Angela you are so nice, Angela you are so cool- I’m sick of it okay? You always steal the limelight from others.” She paused for a minute. “You know what? You mingle with nerds like us but clearly you are no different from Wendy.”

That was the final straw.

I rushed out of the washroom and ran as fast as I could, not knowing where I went. Then I bumped into someone. That someone held me by the shoulders.

“Angela, are you alright?” Jake’s chocolate brown eyes were filled with concern. Then something overcame me. I burst out in tears. I felt his arms snake around my waist as my head rested on his chest. Standing here, I don’t know where, crying in Jake’s arms was something that I hadn’t done since high school started.

Jake’s parents and my parents were best friends in their days and naturally Jake and I became best friends. He was like my soul mate. He was my constant companion and someone I trusted, relied on and would never let go of. Then high school came and both of us changed. Suddenly he was encompassed by football, girls and jocks and I by books, failed science experiments and others like me. Our relationship completely changed. I wasn’t his best friend anymore, no, Zach was. He didn’t need a loser like me as a friend. But once in a blue moon I actually felt like the old Jake was still in there when we had long talks during tutoring, meetings and dinners.

And right now, it was old Jakey holding me.

Just like old times he rubbed one of his hands up and down my back, soothing me and sending tingles down my back at the same time.

For what seemed like ages I sobbed then had my sense finally knocked into me. I pushed him away. He looked at me in surprise.

“I’m sorry I ruined your shirt. Just forget what happened please?” I looked at him, my vision blurred because of the tears. I quickly turned and walked away. I merely took a step when his hand gripped mine, refusing to let go. He made me turn and began walking to someplace, dragging me along.

“Jake stop. Let me go. I have a class to go to.” But all my pleas were in vain. He had simply turned deaf. I had no choice but to follow him as he took me to a place in the school I had never been to before. It was the school terrace. The one that was supposedly locked. I looked around in shock, taking in the cool breeze as the trees swayed gently. The floor had a few puddles but this was the most peaceful place I had ever been to at school. He then sat down on the floor and motioned me to do the same. I hesitated at first but soon sat next to him.

“I found a passage that led to this place last year. Ever since then I come here when I want to think, get some space or simply bunk class. Nobody knows about this place except you.” He gave me a smile. I smiled back in return and wiped my tears with the sleeves of my jacket.

“So tell me.” He said.

“Its nothing.” I looked at my shoes.

“Aw, come on Angela, I know you enough to say that something really bg happened to make you cry like that. Hell, the last time I held you like that was when Frost died.” He said, mentioning my old dog, Frost, which died three years ago.

“You can trust me.” That was all he had to say before everything spilled out, the class president thing and then the incident in the bathroom. I left Zach’s flirting and Wendy’s listening out of this. He didn’t make a move till I finished. This was one of the reasons why I liked him, he was a great listener.

After I was done, he simply said this, “  Well I think you should give her some space. I mean, if she were your best friend she would have never said all of this to you. Maybe she has some things going on at home or something and she just needed to vent out her anger on someone. You said that you were THINKING of signing up but didn’t right? It’s going to be okay.” This really lifted my spirits.

“Thank you.” I smiled shyly.

“Hey shut up. Remember best friends don’t say thank you and sorry? We made that promise long ago. Don’t tell me you forgot about it.”

What? He still thought of us as best friends?

“Yes, I still think of you as my best friend. You were the best best friend I have ever had,” he said chuckling.

He can read minds?

“No I can’t read minds but your expressions easily reveal what’s on your mind. You haven’t changed a bit.”

“HA, ha, ha.” I laughed. This was all so overwhelming. Was Jake serious?

“Jake, you know we can never become best friends again. You are Prom King and I’m Prom Committee.” This was the comparison I could come up with?

He laughed again and grew serious again.

“Care to give it a try?” then suddenly he got up and held out his hand to help me. I took it and was on my feet. But he didn’t let go of the hand.

“Jake, this try is doomed but I’m in.” I grinned. “Now let go of my hand so I can go.”

“Make a promise first. Promise me that you won’t tell anyone about this place. Now this old school terrace is Jake and Angela’s special place.”

“You’re so kiddish. But I promise. Okay? Bye Jakey!” I let go of his hand and ran.

“Angela you are so dead. You still haven’t forgotten about that nickname have you?” I heard him shout as I giggled and ran. If there was one thing that annoyed Jake, it was calling him Jakey because that, according to him, made him less manly. Huh, boys.

Anyways, I was glad I got my best friend back; even it was for a short time. Tomorrow, it would all be different, as all this would be forgotten.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SO, THINGS TOOK A SHARP TURN AND I UPDATED AFTER A VERY LONG TIME!! MORE COMMENTS WOULD BE WHAT I WOULD LIKE? IS THAT ASKING A LOT? THANKSS! 

~misswhatverr