Farewell

When I came out of the bathroom, I saw Lucy clicking away on her computer, and I noticed the sticker with Lucy's camera watermark, and memories came over me like a flood. I went over to her and looked into the computer screen. After trying to interpret anything, I gave up and stumbled on to her bed, lying on my back.

"This may take a while so it's okay if you go back home." She mumbled from behind the computer.

I sat up and cocked an eyebrow at her. "Why, do you despise my company?" she looked up and flashed a smile.

"Nothing like that, it's just that you might get bored." She said and I fell back on the bad.

"No, it's okay. Anyway, I wanted to ask you something." I said.

"Shoot."

"Why are we pretending to be not friends right now?" I asked her and she looked at me again and sighed.

"It's because I have a plan." She simply said. I stared at her for a while, waiting for an explanation, but from the looks of her typing away furiously, I realized she wasn't going to say anything after that. I picked up my phone and began randomly opening apps or checking messages to take me out of my boredom. I had a text from Jake so I sent a quick reply. Suddenly, a new message popped up.

Will you be coming to Jake's party today? – Zach

I stared at the message for a while trying to decipher any hidden message. Nevertheless, I replied. Will probably come. Why do you ask?

The phone beeped in the next five seconds. Wow, that was fast.

Can't I ask general questions concerning my friends? Be privileged that Zach Black is curious about your life. You offend me (kidding).

A smile crept up on my face as I typed in a reply.

Boys and their egos. Meh.

He texted back almost immediately.

(ignores rude comment) So if you come, you'll come alone or with somebody?

Um, this isn't prom, I don't need someone to take me. But I'll probably come with my friends.

Like whom? Just curious. Nothing else.

His curiosity was starting to make me suspicious now. But I decided to be honest and tell him.

Um... let's see, May and Tanya...

He didn't reply immediately, so I clicked my phone shut and tossed it back in my pocket. After staring at the ceiling and occasionally looking at Lucy working on her computer expressionless, the phone in my pocket buzzed again so I took it out and opened the new message from Zach.

Okay.

Okay? Was that all he had to say? What was this? I'd hoped he would say something meaningful and understanding, something like he was glad Tanya was coming, or not glad because it would get awkward. More like, I expected him to be a little more explanatory. I typed in a text furiously.

Okay?? Your curiosity thing is confusing me!

I waited for a reply, but got none. I was starting to get annoyed at him. What was wrong with this guy?

After about two minutes, my phone rang. I glanced at the caller ID. It was Zach. Why was he calling me right now? What was up? Is this what Jake had meant when he said that Zach had been acting really weird lately. To get an answer to all my questions, I took his call and held my phone near my ear.

"Angela?" I heard him say. His voice sounded gloomy, so I was starting to get a little concerned.

"Zach, what's wrong?" I asked.