New Friends

The bell rang and students poured into the corridors. As Zach came out, he gave Jake and me a look and walked away. Wendy, well, she gave me a glare and took Jake by the hand. As she dragged him away Tanya and May met me.

“Oh I am so proud of you!” Tanya gave me a hug. May laughed.

“Why?” They were proud of me because I got punished?

“You should have seen Zach’s face when you and Jake got kicked out together. He definitely likes you.” May explained.

Well that made me a bit happy. But now I needed to find Jake.

“So what are you going to do? Get closer to him.” May giggled.

“Yeah! And-“

Both of them started fangirling over the fact that Zach liked me and yet I pondered over it. He hadn’t confessed to me nor did we talk a lot. They were just overreacting. And the photo!

Leaving May and Tanya gushing about Zach and I getting married, I ran to my locker, removed the half-crumpled photo, put it in the middle of my The Merchant Of Venice drama script and headed towards my drama class. I figured that reaching there early might give me some privacy and some time to think.

Well I wasn’t the only one who thought so as I saw my Japanese partner going through the script in the classroom too.

I gave her a smile and quickly sat down, opening the picture and subtly hid it from her view using a book end. Then I turned the photo and studied the watermark. It didn’t have any name or brand on it, it was just a simple camera lens diagram with an ‘L’ engraved in the middle of it. This was something unfamiliar. I quickly shut it and sighed.

“Um, excuse me. You are Angela right?” I was shocked to see the Japanese girl talking to me. Well, I kind of used to think she couldn’t talk because she used to sit quietly all the time.

“Yeah its me. And you are,” I didn’t know her name.

“Miyuki.” She finished off for me.

“Sorry for asking but, are you dating Jake?” she continued, and I shook my head vigorously.

“No, the rumors aren’t true.” I smiled. She wasn’t the only one who had that question in their mind.

“Thank god. Because people like Jake are just jocks who will end up breaking our heart. Wendy is meant for him. I know because I had dated Zach once. And best friends can’t be different from each other can they?”

My eyes widened in surprise as I learned all of this. Well Zach must have dated her because of her good looks.

She had amazing black silky hair that fell over her shoulders like a waterfall. Her skin was pale but perfect, not a single blemish or mark on it. Her almond shaped eyes were really pretty, and so dark it was hard to find the pupil.

“Well Zach is a player and thank you for telling me all this. I’m so glad you’re not those people who would call me a slut.”

“You know you could be one if you wanted to.”

“A slut?” Did she speak right?

“You’re really pretty, with your cute brown hair and amazing blue eyes. And I love your fashion sense. And guys like you but don’t approach you because they’re scared you’ll blow them off and Wendy really hates you. And people only hate people who they can never be like. So if you just started wearing shorter and skimpier stuff, batted your eyelashes more than a little, twirled your hair around your fingers and gave a lot of attention to boys. Presto! Your Angela the Slut!”