Unbelievable

I was sitting at my desk, brushing up on my physics at about six when I heard a knock on the door.

“Come in,” I called out and my mom appeared. She came in and sat on my bed.

“Hey, what are you doing?” she asked me.

“Physics. Just doing some last minute revisions so I can tutor Jake well.” I said, then turned towards her.

“I’m going to his place at seven.” I said, and she nodded.

“I know. And you are going to stay there till eleven.” She said.

I looked at her suspiciously.

“And you’re okay with that?” I raised an eyebrow at her.

“Uhuh. His parents and your dad and I are going to our high school reunion downtown. So we’ll be back by eleven.”

“And you’re okay with me being home alone with a guy at night?” I asked.

“Yeah, it’s just Jake. Not some pycho-killer, right?” she laughed and then got up to go when I stopped her.

“Mom? Are you sick?” I went to touch her forehead to check for fever but she brushed my hand away.

“I’m completely fine,” she scoffed and then hurried out, leaving me confused.

A minute later, she came back.

“Oh, I almost forgot. When you leave, remind me to give you a box of cookies for the Summers.” She said.

“You’re baking cookies?” I exclaimed, mouth watering at the thought.

“Hm. Haven’t baked cookies for a long time. I’ll pack some for Troy too. I promised Lindsay I’ll bake her some.” My mom said, referring to Jake’s mom.

I gave her a thumbs up and she walked out, and I resumed studying.

Half an hour later I shut my book and went into my wardrobe to find a backpack. I dumped some books in it and went downstairs, to find my mom packing some cookies into boxes. I hurried over and shoved one like on the kitchen counter into my mouth, only to savor the chocolaty goodness.

“Mmmmm…” I sighed and my mom grinned at me. After helping myself to another one, I asked my mom.

“Why didn’t you call me down to taste the cookie batter?” I looked at her crossly.

“I beat you to it.” I heard Troy behind me, walking in with Snow on a leash.

“That’s not fair!” I wailed and he laughed.

He unleashed Snow who bounded off happily to some part of the house, and came and removed a bottle of water from the fridge.

‘Here,” my mom handed me a big box of cookies and I stuffed it into my bag, and then walked out of the house.

After a walk of about two minutes I reached Jake’s house and rang the doorbell.

Uncle Max, Jake’s father opened the door and grinned at me.

“Hey Angela! Come in!” I walked in after him, shutting the door behind me. He was wearing a formal grey shirt and was in the midst of tying a black tie.

Auntie Lindsay appeared in the living room, wearing a pretty maroon dress that complimented her blonde hair, the trait Jake had got from her. I handed her the box of cookies and she smiled at me with gratitude.

Your mom’s cookies are the best! I can never quite bake like her.” She said and I smiled.

“What’s the occasion?” I asked them.