The Nerd in Me

Get ready to get your ass whipped. Love, Wendy.

I read her text for the third time.

Unanswered questions whirled around in my head.

How did she get my number?

What did she mean?

What was she going to do?

What would be for dinner?

I sighed and flopped on the bed, staring at the ceiling. I couldn’t deal with this right now. I decided to call Jake up, but then hesitated before pressing the call button.

He said he had football practice. But I really needed to talk to him. I didn’t want him to feel bad.

I sighed again and got up. I thought of studying for a while to make use of the time.

I went over to my desk and searched for my Biology textbook.

Finding it, I lay it on the table and rummaged through the drawers till I produced some Post-It Prompts and highlighters.

Yep, I liked my books colorful.

The human brain is a complex..

 I diverted my entire attention to my book and began studying.

~Three Hours Later~

Exasperated, I shut my World History textbook with a slam.

In a span of three hours I had studied three subjects, and now I couldn’t go on any longer.

That was some studying.

I glanced at the clock.

7 pm.

As if on cue, my stomach grumbled. Boy, all this filling my brain with information had made me hungry.

I jogged downstairs, to find my mom talking on the phone with somebody, giggling occasionally.

“Oh yes,” she giggled. “I knew this would happen all along. It’s destiny.” She giggled some more but stopped abruptly the minute she saw me.

I raised an eyebrow at her.

“Hey, listen, I’ll call you back later okay? Yeah… Bye!” she clicked the phone shut and smiled at me like a kid who had been caught with his hands in the cookie jar.

“Mom? Who were you talking to?” I asked her.

“Just a friend. I was wondering why you hadn’t come down sooner. What were you doing?” she changed the topic very subtly while I shrugged it off, heading over to the chair near the island.

“Studying.” I said.

“You better. Your exams are approaching.” Mom went back to her usual self and I nodded.

“I’m hungry.” I said.

“When are you not?” I heard Troy behind me.

I turned to find him standing at the doorway.

I stuck my tongue at him while he walked over to Mom.

“Mom I can’t find my shirt.” He tugged at her sleeve.

She sighed.

“Which one? You have hundreds.” She looked at him in a bored way.

“The blue one, with a bolt of lightning drawn on top. I searched for it everywhere but I can’t find it.”