Shocker

“Hi.” I waved awkwardly at Zach. He came over near to me and spoke. “Hey, so you were with Jake?”  

“Yeah, we went to the mall to find the person who clicked the photo of both of us...together...you know..” I mumbled.

“Right. I saw that picture. Any luck finding the person?”

“No, unfortunately." I sighed.

“Well, I bet you guys bonded over this little trip. Don’t get too cozy, though. I won’t let you steal my best friend.” He said, grinning. I smiled and began walking towards the door. When I reached out to the doorbell, I waved.

“Well, bye! I better get home or my mom will kick my ass out of the house forever.” I rang the doorbell and turned to find that Zach wasn’t gone yet. Instead, he was right behind me.

“Oh, I was coming to your house. Your parents invited my family to dinner and found out I was the same age as you and know Troy, so your mom called me early.” So this was what it was all about... After a minute, my mom opened the door.  

“Oh, there you are. I see you guys have already met! Come in, dears.” Let me tell you one thing, my mom never used terms of endearment on me. Something was up. I went in and was immediately thrown on the floor as Snow landed on me, licking all over my face.

“Oh, Snowie, someone looks excited today!” Then, as I got up, Snow went over to Zach and sniffed everywhere, and continued doing so until I pulled him back, seeing that Zach was beginning to get uncomfortable. We headed to the living room and Zach sat on the couch.

“You have a nice place.” He said as his eyes ran over the interior.

“Thanks, um, make yourself comfortable! The movies are right over there,” I pointed to the shelf and began sliding towards the door.

“I’ll just, uh, go say hi to my mum.” I ran into the kitchen, where my mom was putting something in the oven while humming a song.

“Mom, you could have told me we had guests tonight.”

“I was going to tell you when you came home, but you were late. Did you go somewhere?” “Yeah, I went to the mall with Jake. But Mom, you could have at least sent a message.”

“How?”

“There are something called cell phones, you know.” I said, exasperated.

“Oh, I don’t trust those things. Now, go upstairs to call Troy down and change into something better. Your clothing style isn't very good for first impressions.”   I smiled sarcastically and trudged upstairs, going towards Troy’s bedroom first. I knocked against his door (more like banged).

“Troy, Mum’s calling you. Go downstairs.” I said through the door, since Troy hadn’t bothered to open the door. Oh, I had such a wonderful brother. I gave up and began walking towards my bedroom door, but Troy peeked his head out of the door.

“Jake and Angela sitting on a tree, K-I-S-S-I-N-G.”

Then he shut the door again before I could hit him. What was that about?

My brother was weird.

I went over to my bedroom and put on a pale yellow dress with ¾ sleeves and a thin brown belt. The dress touched my knees. I left my hair the way it was and reapplied my make-up. After slipping on brown flats which matched the belt, I hopped downstairs, wondering if it was rude leaving Zach alone for such a long time.

Well. I didn’t have to worry about that, I thought, looking at Zach and Troy chatting like old friends while watching Jaws. I sat on the armchair and turned to Zach. “You know Troy?” “Who doesn’t, sister dear?” Troy answered. I rolled my eyes at him and turned to the TV screen, right as a shark ripped the head off a person.