Part 1: Chapter 4

I woke up the next morning with my mouth feeling like sandpaper. My mouth was so dry that I couldn't swallow. I ran to the bathroom and drank gulps of faucet water. Once I felt like I wasn't dying, I hopped in the shower.

I brushed my teeth, did my hair, and dressed in a white oversized t-shirt with black cargo pants and my black Dr. Martens. 

I made sure my room was in order and nothing was out of place before grabbing my bag and walking downstairs.

"Asha?!" I rolled my eyes and walked into the kitchen.

"Make sure you come home right after school."

"I have work today," I mumbled.

She scoffed, "That place you call 'work' ain't nothing but a dump. What do you make? Two dollars an hour." Actually thirteen and change but whatever.

"All I'm saying is that you need to think more longterm. Maybe find a job somewhere suitable for a resume. I hope you don't plan on freeloading off of me your entire life, it ain't happening." I just nodded. I left out the house after she lectured me for a good ten minutes. The bus stop was only a couple of minutes from my house so I quickly went to it.

I stood at the stop with my thoughts all over the place. I hate being constantly compared to Kennedy. She ain't shit. The only reason she gets whatever she wants and can do whatever the fuck she wants is because my mom favors her for obvious reasons. Kennedy is practically her twin. They have the same light complexion and the same features. Not to mention, the same disgusting personality. On the other hand, I look more like my deadbeat father, and I refuse to stoop to they level.

It blows my mind that my mom calls me a freeloader when the only one freeloading is Kennedy. She don't even have a job. All she do is lay around with some nigga most days while I'm forced to help with groceries and bills. The double standards is real and I hate it.

The bus came right on time. I got on it and went straight to the back. There weren't many people on the bus. Those with cars and a license are lucky to not have to ride the bus.

.....

"Good morning Asha," Mrs. Brown greeted me.

"Good morning."

"What can I do for you?" She asked.

"Actually, I was wondering who I could speak to about graduating early and what I possibly need to do to get a full ride to college."

I watched as her eyes widened in shock. I bet not many people ask to graduate early. That's not something that just anyone can do. I'm not even sure if I'll be able to do it.

"You said I had a lot of transfer credits and that I'm ahead of my class?"

"I did but...I...it's certainly possible considering your grades, but that would be a lot of work," she stated with uncertainty. I'm honestly desperate to get out of that house and away from them. I need this. No matter how hard it will be to get these last few classes in, I think I can do it.

"You do have a lot of credits that would technically make you a senior," she continued. I nodded my head in excitement.

"I would have to have a meeting with the principal, the guidance counselor, and you, to make sure that this is what you want. Luckily, the semester just started."

"Okay." I was starting to get my hopes up.

We talked for a few minutes and she told me that the meeting will be tomorrow. She got excited for me and wished me well.

.....

Lunch rolled around faster than expected. I stood in line to pick some food. I actually planned on eating today, but if I didn't see something I wanted, I would skip lunch.

"You gone eat today?" I jumped and turned to see Cairo standing behind me staring.

"Oh, yea. I planned on it," I said turning back to face the front. He just hummed in response. Now I actually have to pick something. I saw that they had pizza so I grabbed a slice and also a small gatorade. This should give me some energy since I was feeling kinda weak.

"Thats all?" He narrowed his eyes at me and I looked away. It was my turn to pay, but before I could get my money out, Cairo was handing the lunch lady a five dollar bill.

"I didn't ask you to do that."

"A simple thanks would be nice," he countered. I didn't say anything I just walked off. Now I feel like I owe him. I walked in the opposite direction of where their table was. I saw an empty section in the back so I went there.

I sat down and started fiddling with my pizza. I took a few bites and drank some of my Gatorade.

"You look lonely." My head snapped up at the intruding voice. I saw a girl. She looked about my height. She had a nice body from what I could see. She had on a black plaid dress that stopped mid thigh. She also had on a black leather jacket and some all black converses.

Taking a closer look at her face, she kinda looked familiar.

"Do I know you?" I asked genuinely confused.

"No but I saw you yesterday sitting with my brother and his friends."

"Your brother?"

"Yea, Brandon." Oh makes sense. She looks just like him.

"Are you a junior?" I asked.

"Yep," she said popping the p.

"Can I sit." I nodded my head yes.

"You look lonely," she repeated her earlier statement.

"I like being alone."

"Me too." After that, it was quiet between us. I finished my pizza and my small Gatorade. I stood to throw my trash away when she stopped me.

"What's your name?" she asked me.

"Asha."

"Well Asha, I'm Briana." I gave her a small smile and told her it was nice to meet her. I threw my trash away and placed my tray in the bin before leaving out of the side door. I took the long way to my locker. I didn't realize it was the long way, but the door I went out of just happened to be further away from my locker.

"Asha!" I turned around to see Briana running to catch up with me. I nearly laughed. She was cute.

"Can I walk with you. I don't have anything else to do until class starts."

I'm usaully a good judge of character and I can tell when someone is full of shit, but she seemed like a genuine person. 

"Sure."