Part 1: Chapter 21

I met Cairo's mom. She wanted to talk but she was so busy hosting that she couldn't even stay still for longer then five minutes. Cairo said his father was working and couldn't make it. He didn't seem too ate up about it so I didn't respond.

Cairo mama decided to throw this party for Cairo, Derek, and Brandon because all three of them have known each other since they were in diapers. They grew up together and have always went to the same schools until now. Now that they are out of high school, they are going their separate ways. The way Cairo mama talked about it, it's like a bittersweet moment for everyone that grew up watching the trio.

After our little talk, Cairo was called away by relatives that also wanted their chance to speak to him. I kept stealing glances at him as he mingled with everyone. I stayed by Briana and laughed as her and Ashanti joined a crowed of people and started dancing. They all did the same dance, but I didn't know what it was. I still wouldn't have joined if I did.

When it was time to eat, they blessed the food and cut the cake. I couldn't eat. I was scared that I would get sick, so I mostly stayed away from the food. Sometimes any smell can trigger the sickness; it's not always food, but most of the time it is.

I busied myself with helping to clean up the kitchen. Cairo's mama insisted that she didn't need help, but I didn't have anything else to do. There was no food around since everything was already in the backyard. Not to mention, everyone was either in the backyard or the front.

"What are your plans for school?" She asked me. I decided to be honest.

"I am going to a community college by my house. It's a safer option for me."

"Cairo told me about you. How you worked so hard in school, jumping from job to class work. You even graduated a year earlier, am I right?"

"Yes ma'am. I worked hard, too hard. I regret putting myself through all of that because I still ended up stuck here," I said fanning my eyes. She stopped and looked at me.

"Why are you crying?" She asked softly.

I choked on my words, "because it was all for nothing."

"It was all for nothing, all of it. I-I...I was too hopeful. I accounted for all of the odds, all of them except one. I would still have my hopes and dreams if it wasn't for that one stupid mistake." I clamp my mouth shut at the spiteful words I just spewed. I furiously wiped at my eyes.

"You're pregnant, aren't you?"

I don't even want to deny it so I nod my head yes. She curses.

"I had everything figured out. A 4.6 gpa, but I'm stuck here," my voice cracked.

"How far along are you?"

"Almost four months," I whisper.

"It's not Cairo's," I blurt out with wide eyes.

"I know," was all she said.

"Do you want to talk about it?" She asked me.

"I can't. It's too much." I continued cleaning. I didn't say anything else. Not long after, Cairo comes into the kitchen.

"What wrong?" He could probably feel the tension.

"Nothing Cairo. Help me take out the trash." Cairo's eyes lingered on me before he did as he was told and took out two heavy bags filled with trash.

I took the opportunity to go clean myself up in the bathroom. I knocked on it and a tiny voice responded from on the other side. It was a child.

"I'm pooping," they yelled at the top of their voice.