Part 2: Chapter 27

"How is that fancy job of yours?"

"It's good," I laughed.

"I never thought I'd be into real estate, but it's good money and I enjoy it."

"Are you moving back here anytime soon?"

"Mom," Robyn warned. Robyn knows better than anyone how much I dislike being questioned about my decisions.

"I hadn't planned on it. I finally got a good stable job and I don't want to ruin that."

"I just don't understand. It still doesn't make sense to me that you moved nearly four hours away."

"Why? I'm fine and Imani is fine."

"The isolation can't be good for either of you. Imani has family here. Don't you think it's selfish of you to keep her away from us?"

I narrowed my eyes. Iris and I haven't seen eye to eye since I left. We constantly argue and sometimes it's exhausting. She can say whatever she wants, but I did what was best for my mental health. Being here and constantly being reminded of what happened drives me crazy. I don't want to be anywhere near here, and if Royce just happens to be away from her relatives, then it can't be helped.

"I'm not keeping her away. Y'all can come visit. I never said y'all couldn't."

"But you've made it such an inconvenience for everyone. Did you at least stop and think about our feelings as well?

"I could've completely moved out of the state but I didn't," I mumbled.

"See that's what I'm talking about," Iris waved her hands in frustration.

"You don't have to like or understand my decisions, but I would like if you respected them," I continued.

"Unbelievable."

"Mom," Robyn warned again.

"It takes a village to raise a child. Imani needs her family. You can't coddle her for the rest of her life."

"I'm not," my voice began to raise out of frustration.

"You think I'm being selfish but I'm not. I don't want to be here. Nothing about here brings up good memories," I breathed deeply trying not to get too worked up.

"Imani is my responsibility now. Mine alone. I will not put myself in an environment that will cause me to spiral out of control again."

"And what of Dashawn? What would Dashawn think about you isolating yourself and not letting anyone help you raise the child y'all created?" I shook my head. I don't want to talk about him.

"Imani doesn't even know him," my voice cracked.

"Well, do you talk about him? Do you take her to see him? Do you show her pictures of him? Or do you just plan on never telling her?"

"Why does it matter!? He's dead. He left me by myself when he told me he would never leave me," I choked on my own words.

"Asha, I'm not trying to make you upset."

"Yes, you are! You do nothing but question me and try to make me feel bad." I stood up from my seat and stormed off to get Royce.

"Asha, where are you going?" Robyn spoke up.

"I'm leaving." I made it to the room Royce was in and picked her up. She stirred but didn't wake up. I then grabbed the penguin stuffed animal I got for her at the aquarium.

"Asha, my mom loves you. We all love you and we are your family."

"I don't have family."