Part 2: Chapter 43

"Did he see me?" I asked.

"No."

"Ok good. I need a drink. Where's Penny?" I looked around.

"You're not mad?" Briana asked.

"No. Like I said, I'm here for you. I'm just gonna act like he's not here at all. That should work."

"Are you sure?" I nodded, still looking around for Penny.

"Mmhmm, where's the bar? I need about four shots and I'll be just right," I told her.

"I'll go get you a drink."

"No, it's your birthday. I'll go get my own drink, and I'll get you one as well. What do you want?"

"Surprise me," she said.

"Okay, I'll be right back." I walked off in a random direction, but just away from that area. I maneuvered around tables, chairs, and people. I got to the crowded bar and found an open spot at the end. There were two bartenders, one male and one female. Once I got the attention of the girl, she rushed over to me.

"Thanks for being patient love. What would you like?" She leaned across the bar to talk over the music.

"Can I get like three, maybe four shots of whatever your strongest liquor is. And maybe something cute like a passion fruit martini, and make it strong as well." She took a second to make a mental note.

"I see you can handle your liquor."

"Nooo, all of these are not for me...well the shots are, but it's my friend's birthday so the martini is for her."

"Awe, where's the birthday girl?"

"Oh ummm," I turned around in the direction I came from, "Up there," I pointed.

"Oh the VIP section."

"Yea, I guess so," I nodded.

"Ok, so four shots and a passion fruit martini. Is that all?"

"Ummm, you know what, add two more shots so a total of six plus the martini." The bartender gave me a look and I had to tell her that the other two were also for my friend.

"Can I get a name?" She asked.

"You can just say they're for Briana."

"Ok great, I'll have the drinks brought up to you all."

"And the tab?" I asked.

"I don't handle money back here. You will get a receipt with the drinks and you can pay with the waitress." I nodded and thanked her before making my way back to Briana. I was about to walk up the steps to the VIP section when I spotted a familiar face. I stopped and did a damn double take. Was that April? I went to call her name when Briana came out of nowhere.

"I was looking for you. Where did you go?"

"Remember, I went to get some drinks," I said looking over her shoulder. "Hey, was that April that I just saw? The same April from high school—Ms. Ivy League?" I asked.

"Yeah. Why?"

"WHY!? Because you didn't tell me that she was here. I haven't seen her ass in years."

"Oh, my bad. Yeah, April is here, as well as Derek, my brother and a few of my other friends from college."

"Oh shit, I'm about to go speak. And you're coming with me," I grabbed her hand. We ascended the stairs, but I stopped halfway once I remembered who else was up there. Briana pushed me up the remaining steps and I quickly masked my facial expression. When I got to the top, I almost instantly locked eyes with April. She screamed and the biggest smile took over my face. We met each other half way, and I pulled her into a hug.