Part 1: Chapter 16

The next few days went by fast. I was so excited to be moving on soon and starting fresh. Spring break was almost over and I was done packing. I made sure to pack everything that I could. I paid for every single item in my room and I'd be a fool to leave any of it behind. Dashawn is gonna help me with the bigger stuff like my dresser and my bed. I just had to survive the next two days.

"You seem in better spirits," Elliott smiled as I walked past him.

"I am," I smiled grabbing a tray of food.

"That's wassup. Oh, I almost forgot. You have table 5 when you're done."

"Ok cool."

I delivered the food before making my way to table 5. It wasn't actually in my area, but I didn't mind taking on another table. When I got there, I was surprised at who I saw. Briana, Brandon, Ashanti, Derek, and April were all crammed into a booth. I laughed when I saw them. Their eyes lit up.

"Hold on, let me get y'all some chairs." I stole two chairs from an abandoned table in the back. When I got back, they all sighed in relief.

I noticed that Cairo wasn't present but I shook it off. Maybe, if I gathered enough courage, I would call him later to check up on him. Once I took their drink orders, there was an awkward silence until Ashanti spoke up.

"I see you ain't want to spend spring break with us," she playfully rolled her eyes. "I guess I'll act like my feelings weren't hurt," she continued.

"I know. I've just been real busy. But if y'all can stay until I get off or at least until my next break, I will explain." They looked at me skeptically but agreed.

"Did y'all want some food?" I asked. They only ordered small stuff. When I finally delivered their food and refilled their drinks, I told them to give me another hour.

On my break I explained as much as I thought was necessary. I told them about my plan to move out soon. I told them that I found a place close to the city and that they could come visit me whenever. They were excited for me which made me feel good. They stayed around until my shift was over. They even waited for me to clock out. It was late as we walked out the diner when Cairo pulled up next to us.

"Wassup bro," Derek said leaning into the car.

"I'm late, but can I talk to you, Asha?"

"Yea," I nodded.

"You good?" Briana asked me.

"Yea, I'll get a ride from Cairo," I smiled lightly.

"Let us know when you move. We can help," April said. Briana and Ashanti nodded their heads in agreement.

"Ok," was all I said. They all left and I hesitantly climbed into the passenger seat of Cairo's car

"Hey," I spoke first." He looked over at me, giving me a once over.

"I was supposed to be here earlier but I got caught up," he said.

"It's fine. You didn't miss much," I shrugged.

He pulled off and it was quiet between us. I had so much that I wanted to say, but I didn't know where to start. Should I apologize? Should I ask how he was doing? Should I try to explain what I've been going through? Would he even care?

"You seem better," he interrupted my thoughts.

"I'm trying."

"I'm sorry for telling yo business. I was only worried and everybody wanted to know what was going on, especially Briana."

"I understand. I know that y'all were just trynna help and I appreciate it." I cleared my throat before continuing, "I'm moving out of my momma's house soon."