Part 2: Chapter 37

"You want something to eat?"

"I'm actually pretty full from pizza, but I'll take anything to go." Mama Iris nodded. It was kinda awkward between us since he haven't seen eye-to-eye in a long time. She lost her son, and Royce and I moved away a few years after that. She went from being there 24/7 when I first had Royce and didn't know what the fuck I was doing, to only seeing us on holidays and sometimes birthdays. She has her snarky remarks, but she means well and I do miss her.

"Do you need help with anything?" Iris shook her head no.

"Iris—"

"Imani is growing up so fast. It seems like it was just yesterday that I was helping you breastfeed. You would get so upset when she wouldn't latch on." I took a quick deep breath as she changed the subject.

"Yeah, I was even more of a mess back then—going to school, still recovering from my addiction, and trying to be a parent all at the same time. It was exhausting trying not to relapse."

"How has your recovery been, by the way?" We've actually never talked about this before. Her, Robyn, and my friends were still the only people that knew, and I wanted to keep it that way.

"It was good. It's still going good. The cravings are longgggg gone. Now, I just simply don't even think about it unless I'm reminded of how pitiful I used to be." Just thinking about how bad off I was sends shivers down my spine.

Iris nodded, looking up at me for the first time since we started talking.

"You can sit. You don't have to stand." I went to go sit on one of the stools at the kitchen island.

"Look...Asha, I don't want this to come off as rude, but I misjudged you at first."

"What do you mean?" I asked. She sat the last pan of food down on top of the stove. Everything was laid out and ready to consume. I was definitely full, but just the smell of everything had my stomach growling.

"Shaheed!" She yelled.

"Yeah?!" He yelled back from somewhere in the house. He had to have been close, maybe in the next room or something.

"Boy, come here!"

"Wassup auntie?" He strolled into the kitchen.

"Tell Will and Eric to come get this damn food. Y'all take all the food to the table with the burners." Shaheed stole a glance at me and I waved. I think he was like 14. He was a handsome young man, but I heard he was also a handful. Yikes.

"Don't look at her. Bye. Go do as I said." Iris pushed him out of the kitchen.

"And don't drop my food!"

"Come on. Let's go before they come back," she said grabbing two Seagrams out of the refrigerator. I followed behind her to the den. It was quiet. She closed the sliding door and sat down on the sofa. I sat down next to her, but kept some space. She then handed me the blue one and I opened it. These things had like 3% alcohol and they were so good. They tasted more like a fruity drink rather than an actual alcoholic beverage.

"What were you saying? Something about how you misjudged me."

"Please don't take this the wrong way, you know I love you."

"I won't. I'd rather us talk and clear the air anyway."

"Okay well, excuse my language." I nodded for her to go on.

"I was skeptical at first. I know how girls operate, especially young ones with fresh pussy. At the time, I just knew you were trouble. I mean, I would know. I was your age once and I was nothing but trouble," she laughed.